My FX Bucket redone.....slightly

So a few weeks back, I bought some blue tube stripes from Scott M. (thanks man)and new brow trim from Thumper (thanks bud). I also have some Hovi's on the way (non speaker/unfinished from Stomper). These will be going onto a new bucket next year, but maybe I should put them on this one temperarily? Anyways, I think it looks better then it did......for an FX anyway.

Front View Before:

gY1JSp3.jpg

Front View After:

WBV3uCp.jpg

Left Side View Before:

r3AC4Dg.jpg

Left Side View After:

jt4pFpE.jpg

Right Side View Before:

2NiBwik.jpg

Right Side View After:

HfsiuN2.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Big improvement over the foam brow! And nothing like showing a more accurate color. Any plans to open up the frown vents and lose the sticker? Its an easy mod (for comfort) especially since it looks like you might be making a hero helmet (you don't have to cut the extra tooth).

Looks like you reinforced the ears a bit too. Two screws in the new pics at the helmet collar instead of one rivet. I did the same thing to help close the gap.

And don't knock the FX helmet. I have already decided, yea...I'll build a "more accurate one" in the future (got TB plans first) but there is nothing like your first.

Keep up the good work!

Lookin' good (but I am a little biased).

I agree that losing the frown sticker and trimming the teeth and painting the frow will only add to the look.

Well done trooper!!!

Looking good there brother, your that much closer to ANH elite :salute::trooper:

Oh, there's loads to do before I get to elite status. I still have to get a left sided holster from someone........;)

Big improvement over the foam brow! And nothing like showing a more accurate color. Any plans to open up the frown vents and lose the sticker? Its an easy mod (for comfort) especially since it looks like you might be making a hero helmet (you don't have to cut the extra tooth).

Looks like you reinforced the ears a bit too. Two screws in the new pics at the helmet collar instead of one rivet. I did the same thing to help close the gap.

And don't knock the FX helmet. I have already decided, yea...I'll build a "more accurate one" in the future (got TB plans first) but there is nothing like your first.

Keep up the good work!

Definately will be opening the frown (once I find my dremel tool). Not sure I'm going the Hero route because the brow trim is too thin to cover the seam of the FX helmet. All I need to get is a flat green lens for the Stunt look. I also need a new set of decals, the ones that are on there need to be replaced.

Lookin' good (but I am a little biased).

I agree that losing the frown sticker and trimming the teeth and painting the frow will only add to the look.

Well done trooper!!!

I have no idea why you would be biased ;) ;).

I noticed the messed up rear decals. When you first apply the decals it takes time and patience (something I'm short on) to get them to lay flat. Something about the curvature of the helmet that the flat stickers just don't want to conform (but it can be done). If I remember right, this wasn't your fault (donated/found armor?).

When you get the new ones, don't be afraid to use lots of Windex when you apply them. It lets you move them around and position them much easier. Just aim and spray; make the helmet wet. And if it starts to dry out, they start to stick, and you're not happy, just hit them with the Windex again.

You might even try re-wetting them now and see if they loosen up and let you move them. I've never tried it but what could it hurt? It looks like there is enough open space that the Windex could get under the decal and maybe let it move or give you some play to smotth them out.

Either way, its coming along nicely.

Another update. I got my tips installed today and also cut out the teeth. I still got to get the paint to do the teeth.

Here's the helmet with the old and new tips:

-------------

Here's the semi-finished bucket.

-------------

Anyone know if there are Hero style ear caps for an FX helmet? Otherwise I'm going to cut the fourth tooth.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Well I'm finally semi finished with the helmet. All that is left is to get new decals and I will be set.

Here's the front view of the helmet.

------------

I decided to do an FX Hero. I think it came out ok. I need to touch up the frown paint, my hands shake too much to get a nice straight line. I used the screen that I am offering to anyone that needs some. So please tell me what you think.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Looking much better brother! You're right, you need to clean up the excess grey paint from the upper and lower sections between the teeth.

Also, the I believe the third tooth on each side needs to extend down into the point. I haven't seen any photos where the grey comes straight down and leaves the pointed area white. Take a look at the high res photo recently posted. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Also, I was able to mask off the teeth and spray mine to keep the lines straight. I used 3M painter's tape and smoothed it down to minimize leaks. I also used little strips of the tape to mask those areas you need to clean up on the upper and lower sections between the teeth (you would have to remove the mesh). It took a lot of measuring, taping, and then masking the rest of the helmet but it came out well.

Or I suppose you could tape it off and then hand paint it.

Either way, its coming along nicely from what it was. Good job!