Please consider those around us... a flu/pertussis thread

Hemostat1976

(This is a USA post... please add any insight from abroad)...........Please think of the vulnerable. If you have the potential of touching, visiting, or hugging a human under the age of 124, or those with a sensitive immune system this winter, please give them the honor of getting a flu shot (inquire about whooping cough (pertussis) this year. The season is here, and whooping cough is expected to make a huge comeback with the intention to kill/afflict many young people (our childhood DTEP may have worn off, and the strain is different). Any drugstore will offer cheap vaccinations (workplaces free. If the cost is truly a problem and you'd like to protect the young/old/compromised, please PM and I'll personally fund your shots. Don't expose the very young, old, or immunocompromised over stubborn opinion. Thanks. Questions/concerns? -Joel

PS- Much more information is available to you if you have questions. www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

or feel free to PM about information. I am a medical professional, but I won't pretend to have all the answers. If I cannot help, I'll dig up an answer or resource/reference. Please consider getting protected, and thanks.

The current vaccine is Tdap (Boostrix®, Adacel®), which covers Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis, people should get one every 10 years, specially if handling little children. I'm a Pharmacist, and at least in Puerto Rico, if the pharmacist is certified to give immunizations, we are authorized by the State to give a flu shot or a Tdap shot without a prescription.

I for one cannot have one, I have gone into shock and my heart rate rose and I became very sick, so did my mother, she was close to having a stroke due to a flu shot, The Doctor advised both of us not to have one again, but this is not common among people who get the shot, I would also add to be careful when touching your mouth and or nose when out in public spaces like a bus, street car, subway car, door handles. also when you sneeze use your elbow not your hands to cover. this will also cut down the infection from coming from you.

I moved to the US a little over 4 years ago and never had the flu shot in my life. Back in the Netherlands, where I'm originally from, they simply don't administer them to people who are not at risk (only those in specific medical situations, and those over 60 get it there). I am, however, considering to get a flu shot for a few weeks now but am a bit reluctant because of all the negative stories I've heard so far.

One thing that makes me kind of wonder, though, is that you say something about possibly exposing others when not getting the shot but, isn't it so that someone with the shot can still carry the disease and spread it to others? Isn't it so that those at risk can only be protected if they themselves have had the flu shot? This is at least what I always have been told by various people in the medical field.

Youre right to a degree, Svache. The point of being innoculated as a healthy person is to protect those at risk around you- another layer of protection against infection and subsequent spreading. The vaccine isnt for everyone, and Ill admit that every time I get one I feel run down for a day or two, but if it saves even one person in public from being hospitalized or worse, Im glad to do it.