What's a real welded Sterling worth?

My buddy just offered me his real decommissioned Sterling. He's added the rubber t-tracks to it. the thing looks great! I'm just not sure what to offer him. Any ideas? Here's what he wrote me:

"Real deal like they used in the movies. Welded shut sterling machine gun, Sherman tank scope and counter. I added the rubber cooling strips on the muzzle as well."

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The rack and the scope are wrong. It looks like the scope just hasn't been taken apart far enough, not sure what that is on top? As far as price, if you say this guy is your friend take it for what you can get it for. As with most things like this, I'll give you the Pawn Stars answer: "It's worth what someone's willing to pay." Offer him what you think is reasonable and see if he goes for it. If not, try to cut what you thinka fair deal is. If he'll let it go for $20 bucks, well then alright! If he wants somewhere in the neighborhood of $600, then you'll have to ask yourself if it's worth that to YOU

Edited by TK5492

He said they go for around $900 but thats WAY out of my range. I don't think he's going for 20 bucks though! I'll need to do a bit more research I guess!

I would not pay more than $500-$800 for one, dependent on condition, parts included and their condition, etc. I have seen them as low as $89 (parts) or $175 (welded, poorly) and over $1250 for a really pristene Deac. You could offer him a fair value, if it is in good condition of $500 but you might start low ($400-$450) to give yourself some room to negotiate. It is hard to tell the condition from the lighting in those pictures...

I concur with Evilboy. From what I can see in the pics you've posted I would be thinking $450-$500.

Do you know where he got it? To my eye that looks a lot like one of the Sterlings sold by Unique Canes but the Unique Canes Sterlings were really slopped together. Do you have any pics from the ejector port side?

You should simply ask him for more pics, with higher quality and better light from more angles. We need to see the details. We already know the scope could be an M-38 A2 or so and the scope rail is wrong. We need to see the quality and accuracy of the greeblies: Hengstler, scope and even t-tracks. Then we need to see how well it is deactivated, does it have the spring and cocking handle and ejector (if they are movable at least partially) or just a lump of metal there. Was this a cut down and then assembled Sterling or not. And of course the quality of the paint apps: original, or repainted, and how well. All these things could give us a better idea of its value.

I'm on it, I sent him a message on FB but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. As soon as I get those clearer pics I'll post em. I'd really like to know a fair price to offer him as he is my friend and not just some dealer. Thanks guys!