Original ANH strapping or elastic with heavy-duty snaps?

Greets!

I have no doubt that this is a question as old as the TK costuming hobby, but I would like some community feedback on the pros/cons of having a screen- accurate type of strapping/donning system for your armor, vice the newer type of systems with elastic straps and heavier snaps.

For those of you who troop or have trooped with both, could I please get your take on this? Also, what kinds or suits are you trooping with - HIPS or ABS, maker - as this bears on the effectiveness of the strapping in question for a specific application.

Your time/opinion/advice is greatly appreciated.

- Andy

If you're going to use the original strapping, which by no means is a bad strapping. Quite the contrary. Use armour that can support it. Too thick or rigid armour will have a higher likeliness of cracking around the screws.

There's plenty of threads discussing the pros and cons of the original strapping vs modern snap-strapping. Search around for a while and I'm sure you can find it. It is however not a very old question people have been asking. The original strapping system was until recently only known by a few people and treated as a secret.

If you're going to use the original strapping, which by no means is a bad strapping. Quite the contrary. Use armour that can support it. Too thick or rigid armour will have a higher likeliness of cracking around the screws.

I would think the same. If you don't have an RS or a 1.5mm TM - kits that are made of a relatively flexible plastic that can take the added stress on the return edges the original strapping system creates - then I would go with the snap/strap method, or what TM calls "practical strapping".