Magnetic Strips Instead Of Velcro - Forearms and Calves

Hello All,

I did a search on this with no returns so if I did it wrong I apologize.

I've been assembling my RT-MOD build. The fit is perfect so far.

On the forearms and calves, the "open" side basically "locks," or closes back into place on me without any adjustment needed. I was marveling at the overall lack of a "seam" and it occured to me that since the "open" tabs (or layers) fit together so well, a crunchy velcro connection might actually be a little bit "in the way," if you will.

Then I remembered the magnetic strips that come in a roll at Home Depot. I have used them on accordion doors to "snap" the doors firmly shut. I wondered if a strip was glued on each side with E-6000, the "open" ends would just "click shut" into place after I inserted my forearms and lower legs.

Maybe a magnetic strip on each side wouldn't be much narrower than velcro, but it wouldn't crunch, either.

Does anybody know of this having been tried?

Thanks,

Old Man Grumpus

I tried this very thing in my calves when I was first building. Don't try in mate. I dont think it will ever work properly and you will end up re-doing the whole thing. Just my advice. Methods are in place because they have been tried and tested many times over and they work. With proper trimming you should be able to glue the foreams.

Hi guys,

My forearms are glued tight, but I have used a pair of Rare Earth Magnets on the top of each calf. It works well for me to keep the top closed and the rest of it clam shells shut.

It could use an update with a bit more refinement though :)

Cheers

Hadleigh

No no, the forearms _are_ glued on one side but not both; my hands would never get through. Same with my big feet on the calves, they would never make it through the bottom. The opposite side has to be velcroed or something.

Edited by Old Man Grumpus

No no, the forearms _are_ glued on one side but not both; my hands would never get through. Same with my big feet on the calves, they would never make it through the bottom. The opposite side has to be velcroed or something.

To be fair I do have an AP suit which is on the slimmer end of the scale, but the magnets work for me. Have you tried using double sided tape and velcro for a test fit?

To be fair I do have an AP suit which is on the slimmer end of the scale, but the magnets work for me. Have you tried using double sided tape and velcro for a test fit?

I test fitted before gluing, everything is/was fine. The back (open) sides close back into place nicely around my forearms and calves. I just want to "lock" them for trooping, movement etc. and wondered if the magnetic strips might be smoother and narrower than velcro.

I doubt those strips are strongly magnetic enough to hold it tight. You could experiment and let us know how it goes, but I wouldn't expect much to come of it. Velcro will probably be a better fit for the problem.

I doubt those strips are strongly magnetic enough to hold it tight. You could experiment and let us know how it goes, but I wouldn't expect much to come of it. Velcro will probably be a better fit for the problem.

OK. I suppose I could test the magnetic strips with their taped backing, rather than going straight to the E-6000. Just wondered if anybody else had tried it.