Armor Help

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Chris, DZ-5631 out of Garrison Excelsior. I have totally been bitten by the armor bug and my DZ is no longer enough. I want to start a TD Captain build. I know this is the TK forum but I was hoping you troopers could help.

My question is this: What armor would be best for me? I am 6'1" 210lbs. I recently lost 50 lbs so I am always worried about putting some of it back on. I have an athletic build (thick thighs, thick arms, big shoulders) and I think I have a big head (just ask my wife).

Price is not a major concern, I would be willing to wait a little longer if it meant doing it right the first time. This project is not a rushed as my DZ since I am already in the 501st.

I have been researching here and the MEPD site for build threads. I have posted a similar thread at MEPD and have gotten great advice.

Does anyone have any reccomendations? I know my DZ build would not have gone as smoothly and would have not come out as well had I not done the research. I was able to cherry pick from everyone else's hard work and enginuity to make what I think is the best DZ I could make. I was just hoping for a little help identifing some of the better builds or the ones with differing opinons.

I am willing to do a mixed build as well.

Thanks for the help.

I recently lost wait and was feeling pretty good about how I look and how I feel. My goal was to lose another 10-20. For the last 2 months I have maintained my current weight and have not been as strict with my diet.

Now that I am calling myself thick and reading others describing me as thick and bigger and such (no offense taken it is how I would say ittoo), I think I will hit the gym and get back on the strict diet after the holidays. :D

Thanks for the help troopers and the inspiration to get back on the horse. Please keep the advice coming.

If you're less than thin, like the troopers seen on screen, you would might want a fan sculpt kit like AM or RT-MOD. Armor with screen used lineage might be doable. It could require extensive shimming or expose large fields of black undersuit making your kit look oddly proportioned. There was a thread recently where a german guy wore a TE who was over 6' and thin. He looked fanfreakingtastic.

You would probably be fine with either AM or RT. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) AM has larger diameter parts where RT's are a little longer here and there (yet still larger around) That may translate to more trimming for the AM.

To me RT looks nicer out of the box than AM. Some of the AM parts like the chest, thighs, and shins may require work to look good. Both kits use the over lap method of construction but can be trimmed to use cover strips over joints.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Aloha,

-Eric

(null)

Edited by Darth Aloha

Mahalo Eric. I don't think I want to have my first build be as complicated as I think converting a screen lineage armor would be be to a guy my size.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Let me pose this new question. If I was going to do RT or AM armor and was willing to do a mix, what would be the best helmet?

Both the AM and the RT-Mod helmets are made for bigger noggins. The RT-Mod would be the more accurate of the two.

I know there's some pics somewhere showing the size difference in the more common helmets.

Edited by necron999

I believe the AM helmet is the old FX helmet with a revised dome. Out of the two, RT-Mod will be more accurate. It's not uncommon to use another maker's helmet with AM though. In reference to TKRestonVA's build thread, I think he's using a TM bucket and AM armor. The color might not be an exact match but that won't keep the suit from being cleared. And if you're weathering it for a TD it won't matter anyway.

Something else to bear in mind is that the more than being larger.... the RT-MOD bucket is idealized and not derived from a screen used helmet. That means that it is smooth and uniformly shaped. Helmets with screen lineage are wonky, bumpy, and not at all symmetrical. I didn't know it when I ordered my RT-MOD kit with helmet that I would fall in love with the wonky look of a stunt helmet. If I had to do it over I would buy an MTK or TM to go with my RT-MOD... and probably will eventually.

So if you care about accuracy (you may not know you do yet) or you love the way an accurte TK helmet looks... skip the RT-MOD helmet.

But if you're lazy like me... getting a pre-built helmet from RT-MOD was one less thing to worry about. But I still had to buy green lenses, s-trim, new mic tips, and the hand painted-esque decals.

Aloha,

-Eric