Rivet size question

Beren

What size rivet is recommended to attach snap males to the armor? I've tried 1/8 short but they slip through and the rivet washers are too big to fit within the snap. I've tried 5/32 medium but they stick out past the snap.

I've also tried the matching piece of the snap male when making a snap plate but I end up with a gap between the snap plate and the armor.

proper size is the 1/8 but don't know about the short part. You are talking about the left side correct? the snap goes on the inside and only the rivet should show on the outside. You also need to put some plastic, i.e. a thick for sale sign, against the armor, then the washer, then the snap piece. Also you should have drilled a 1/8 hole in the armor. If it is the right side, where the back of the snap shows, then someone else will have to weigh in on recommendations.

At this point, i am just trying to make a snap plate to glue beneath the shoulder area of my chest armor. The 1/8 rivet slips through the snap and allows it to fall off.

When i get to the left side, i was planning to use a strip of ABS plastic from an extra shim piece.

No drill hole in sign piece then put the two pieces of snaps together with the sign piece in the middle. Then glue to the armor. The back of the snap makes the sign piece sit a little off of the armor but with the thickness of the glue, you just clamp and let set.

What some people do is glue a second piece of the sign material to the back of the snap plate with a hole cut in the center, the diameter of the snap. That way, the snap's thickness is matched by the thickness of the plastic surrounding it and it can sit flush against the armor.

Or, what I did... is make snap plates out of nylon webbing instead of plastic. Stays on solid (but is removable and replaceable if necessary), and the webbing allows for some give to keep the snap flat.

6eCYsM6.jpg