ata and ap?

pescado

Both are AWSOME armor. AP tends to run a bit smaller, though. Definately NOT for the larger trooper. If you are a thinner build, then you can choose from both. Both offer ABS but if your desire is to paint your own armor, then ATA offers in styrene as well.

You will have no issues when it comes to accuracy with either armor maker when it comes to the parts themselves. The final level of accuracy is in the details and that is up to the builder. Both armors will require a bit of modeling skills and a LOT of patience. With both armors, any two part pieces (forearms, biceps, thighs, shins) are butt joined meaning the parts meet together and are sealed together with an overlapping strip covering the joint line. "ease" of assembly is not really applicable it's just how comfortable you are with your skills. ALL armor is a challenge. But asking a lot of questions, taking your time, and setting a goal as to how you want your final product to look will yield you something you can be proud of.

so would you guys say that if there is around a 300 $ or so difference between the 2 that it would be just as well to pick the cheaper? by the way is there somewhere on here that would explain the differences between the 3 movies armors, because for the life of me i cannot tell by looking at the 501st pictures. thanks again

You'll do well with either armor maker. If one fits your budget better than the other, well that helps make the decision IMO. For the differences between the movie suits head over to www.starwarshelmets.com. Then reading the CRLs here will make it clearer for the distinctions.

I have both ATA and AP kits. the ATA has a smaller AB plate, smaller belt and smaller arms than the AP.

Ā 

the AP has re-engineered the forearms, and has very screen accurate parts for the chest and back and AB.

Ā 

the ATA has re-engineered the arms for bicep and forearm to replicate the Handedness of movie grade suits.

Ā 

both the AP and ATA are considered TE lineage, and both makers sell ABS kits.

Ā 

it's all in how you trim and strap!

AP has thighs halves that are misaligned (one half is longer than the other). The left inner shin is a right outer shin. As far as I know AP hasnt updated these parts.

Ā 

AP plastic is a cooler bright white where as ATA is a warmer off white color.

Ā 

ATA helmet accessories are much higher quality (proper cast mic tips as opposed to faucet aerators and dark green welders lens as opposed to thin light green celophane)

ap thighs are not mis-aligned. it's all in how you trim them.

Ā 

ap thighs are aligned at the top, and then on the sniper knee side, it's in the butt join trim

and the layout that makes them work.

Ā 

if you didn't know to align from the top, then the sniper side thigh can be tough to get right!

Ā 

it's also in the width of the trimm at the center of the thigh in question here.

the overlaping parts must be cut correctly to get the right look.

there are no trim lines to follow, so it can be tricky!

With AP, if you go with the overlap method you will end up with very wide parts. Most notably the right thigh, both forearms and the biceps.

To really get the ANH sizing of all limb parts it's worthwhile going for cover strips and adapt to your own frame.

Ā 

The thigh pieces are just as bonkers as the originals and each half wont line up top and bottom. With some trimming and cunning cover strip placement you'll get it right.

It's worth looking at as much reference material as possible. Plenty of it here in my current build thread -------------

Ā 

I can't comment on ATA kits but AP is pretty solid stuff.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I would go for an ATA kit, mostly for the affordability, but also because it's an accurate suit that can be made to look great if you take your time assembling it.

I'd be interested in an ATA sandtrooper, but I just finished my TK, so I can't justify spending funds on a new project just yet...