Protect Tube Stripes Before Polishing?

I have an ABS AP helmet that I hand painted the details on. I'd like to polish it up good 'n' shiny. Is it recommended that I protect the tube stripes or trap details before polishing? I'd hate to scrape or rub any of it off. Do folks spray any clear coat over them or anything like that? Or is it better to just avoid those sections when polishing?

The cheeks are pretty important that they are shiny. Just be careful and take your time. Make sure your tube stripe paint has cured enough before you even think of getting near them. Got pics?

Bummer... my thinking was that polishing first would affect paint adhesion. Truthfully, I was hoping to give this thing some major shine with some automotive polish.

Why don't you mask off the white areas, leaving just your painted areas exposed, and then hit those with a gloss or semi gloss clear coat. Once dry, mask those areas off and then polish the helmet? You can also not clear coat your painted areas if they are fine. Just mask them off to protect them. I'd mask off the tube stripes too (just single tape covering the area, not each individual stripe).

As to polishing, concentrate on the "high" areas of the helmet (dome, tubes, cheeks, etc.).

And then, don't forget, POST PICTURES! I'm working on my first build now as well so I for one wanna see 'em.

Edited by Bratliff