Auto Resize of Linked Images

Darth Aloha

FISD Team,

I may be having a false memory but I think ip.board once resized images linked in posts with the IMG tag. Did I make that up? If not... would it be possible to enable that feature again?

Aloha and thanks,

-Eric

PS: ACP > System > System Settings > Forums(tab on that page)> Topics, Post and Polls > Automatic Resize Image Force Size

Eric - you do not have a faulty memory. In fact, not only did IPB used to resize images, it still does! It's just that the black box doesn't appear around them any more. If you shrink your window width you will see that the images shrink with it up until the window is about 800px wide. Obviously they won't enlarge but they are shrinking.

If your monitor is smaller than 800px wide they won't look resized to fit, but there's not many of them around these days...

Oh aha... I see it now. It only shrinks as far as the minimum width of the post. Gotcha.

It looks like an image will only shrink to about 750 px wide with the minimum width of a post around 800ish.

Neat thanks.

I probably wouldn't have even thought about it but I've been using a wide aspect monitor lately and been keeping app windows narrow but on top.

Ok... next question... would you guys consider some lightbox action for linked images?

It looks like an image will only shrink to about 750 px wide with the minimum width of a post around 800ish

You got it - the eternal web designers struggle, what is the minimum screen width I can get away with! Personally I can't wait til it's 1920 :D

Ok... next question... would you guys consider some lightbox action for linked images?

Reception centre etc has to take priority, but sure we can look into it.

there used to be a lightbox feature on site? but it's gone now.

In the coming days I am planning to mount a campaign to urge ZeroRoom to add this line to the theme file as to possibly enable lightbox for linked images.

Aloha,

-Eric

Too late she cried! The lightbox code was a short lived feature following the upgrade. It has since been removed due to popular demand.

The thing just got too many complaints. People didn't enjoy having the images pop up and block their screens and worse still it entirely disabled the ability to right click and copy the images in firefox and chrome. You couldn't do drag and drop copies either because if you clicked on the image it just went into pop up mode.

If you want to see the image full size it's probably best just to use the Open Image In New Window command.

So long story short - I don't think we'll be bringing it back any time soon!

ZR,

I think when you link to an image it does open it in a new window... all links made with the URL bbcode might do that... so that's cool.

I could see lightbox being annoying when the linked images are HUGE... but the complaints are a little surprising given the proliferation of lightbox-esque image viewing in the world. They way images are handled in most forum software is clunky and typically an afterthought, but I'm also a total picky pants when it comes to such things.

The bigger picture (so to speak) here is that if this is my only real complaint about FISD, life is pretty good.

Thanks Lucas.

Aloha,

-Eric

Too late she cried! The lightbox code was a short lived feature following the upgrade. It has since been removed due to popular demand.

The thing just got too many complaints. People didn't enjoy having the images pop up and block their screens and worse still it entirely disabled the ability to right click and copy the images in firefox and chrome. You couldn't do drag and drop copies either because if you clicked on the image it just went into pop up mode.

If you want to see the image full size it's probably best just to use the Open Image In New Window command.

So long story short - I don't think we'll be bringing it back any time soon!