Greaves Crack

TD-3425

Ok need some recommendations here!

Got my boots today, and will paint them when I'm done with greaves armor.

So I glued the front of the greaves and before I put on the ABS strips in the front to make it more ANH accurate, I put the left one on tonight so I could mark out where to place velcro in the back.

Got the bottom section around the boot fine, and closed it up. Grabbed the pencil and then noticed the top front of the greave cracked! I guess this happened from opening the back up so I could fit it around my leg and the boot.

It is definitely a stress point and I'm not sure what to do about it. For now, I used some white ABS and put it on top and in the crack. Then I cut out a small piece of ABS and glued that under the return edge. (See attached screenshot) I'll sand and paint this weekend.

So "being careful" is of course something I will keep in mind but, what can I do to help stress relief in this area? Or, should my extra ABS on the under side be enough?

Definitely worried about this one. What do you all do? You can clearly see where the crack is on the top front of the greave.

Thanks for your input.

7289q1e.png

You have got far too much return edge on the tops which has caused the crack to occur. Trim it right back until there is almost nothing there and your problem with disappear (just like your return edge :laugh1: )

Also, are you sure the plastic is ABS?

I know acylic capped ABS would crack like that but not regular ABS. Hips or Styrene would for sure!

Funny enough I had though about this but wasn't sure if doing so would cause any issues with armor approval.

This is AM armor and it came that way :)So... do you recommend I dremel out the return edge all the way around the inside of the greaves? (Or just in the front?)

Obviously, doing so (as you said) removes the possibility of a crack occurring in the future. (And on the right greave as well)

And I can't really think of any other option.

Edited by Trooper324