Sewing Velcro to a stretchy undersuit?

Hey guys, I've got a great undersuit (a thin wetsuit) that looks small but manages to stretch for me to fit into it snuggly. I'm pretty sure that's how these wet suits are supposed to be: But what I would like to do is sew velcro onto the suit to attach my armor pieces to. I'm only worried about whether or not this will actually work since the suit stretches. I'm assuming it will attempt to stretch while putting it on but that the stitching of the sewn on velcro will resist the stretch and rip the suit. If any of you guys our there are the sewing type with any feedback on this idea, please share your knowledge. Thanks!

Alternately, is there a safe way to install button snaps on a stretchy wet suit?

I can definitely help you out here but I don't have time to write at the moment. Stay tuned I'll be back later...

I'll definitely stay tuned, thanks Zero.

Geordie, I'm looking to do this a little different than the usual setup. I admit, there are some pretty great ways to do this that I've seen across the board from you guys and I will definitely revert back to one of those setups if what I'm after doesn't seem to be feasible. It's just that I'm at the point now where it's time for me to set my armor up for trooping and everytime I think about how I want to do it, this idea keeps popping up first. If it can work, I'd be able to suit up in moments and not once have to worry about armor shifting or falling off no matter what I'm doing. I know it would look great because it would be another set up that shows no straps and such. I am aware that there are other ways to do this that also show no straps but I'd truely like to be able to attach each piece of armor with velcro or snaps directly onto the undersuit. If each piece is formed and fitted properly, this would allow a much greater range of flexibility.

Hi Dirty D,

Sorry, I had to pop out for a few drinks (read many) with friends.

Ok so this sewing velcro on a Lycra suit thing. I was gonna ask what kind of wetsuit but I see you've cleared that up already.

Believe it or not this is do able. Now I've never done it on a TK suit or under suit of any kind but I have a lot of experience making clothes so I can certainly address the issue.

First things first - sewing stretch fabric of any kind is always hard unless you are quite experienced with sewing and using the sewing machine. The thinner the stretch fabric and the more 'stretchy' the harder it is. So bear your level of skill in mind when you consider how carefully you work on this.

Secondly - sewing a non stretch fabric to a stretch fabric is even harder. The two things do not play nice together, that is why you rarely if ever see any clothes made of stretch and non stretch in combination. (try to think of an example and you'll see what I mean).

That doesn't mean its not possible though. The trick to attaching a non stretch like Velcro to a stretch fabric like Lycra is that you have to stretch the Lycra as you sew. If you sew the velcro onto the body suit without stretching the body suit fabric you will run into trouble. Primarily it will pop the stitches or rip the fabric easily later down the line. It wont last long basically. It will also wreak havoc with stretching it to fit your form.

So you have to stretch the fabric as you sew, so that you are basically sewing the Velcro onto the fabric in it's stretched form. This will cause it to wrinkle up in a funny way when it's not being worn but will allow it to actually fit your body and help prevent the body suit from stretching further when the weight of the armor is attached. This is important. If you want to add weight to ANY stretch let alone a stretch/ non stretch combination you absolutely must ensure your stitching is applied to the fabric when it is stretched.

The exact level of tension required will depend on the fabric, your size and shape and the weight of your armor parts. I have to warn you though that getting this right is hard even for experienced manufacturers. But not impossible - and isn't that the important part?

This means you have to sew it using a machine. Unless you have four hands you can't hold it taught enough and hand stitch simultaneously. So you need to keep your skill with the machine in mind. the only other possible option is for you to wear the suit while someone else hand sews the velcro directly on while your form stretches the fabric to shape.

As to the issue of whether the fabric can hold the weight of the armor, well that's a different issue. If your ABS is anything like my armor, the weight shouldn't be issue, but mobility definitely will be. The issue with using velcro (anytime really, but especially for this) is that it simply separates when under any tension. Meaning you may well move your arm out to shake someone's hand and watch as your shoulder bells rip off and drop to the floor. The only real way I could see to prevent this is to reinforce your under suit with a grid like structure of bonding type tape inside that provides a sort of framework to prevent stretching causing the Velcro to separate, of course this would involve a whole new level of sewing non stretch to stretch.

Put your under suit on and watch how much the fabric around, say, the shoulder moves, slides and stretches when you move your arm. Now imagine what that would do to any velcro connected to a solid, not-at-all-stretchy piece of plastic. The plastic stays, the fabric moves, the Velcro seperates.

So is it do able? Yes.

BUT

You'd need to be either very good or very experienced with a sewing machine and you wouldn't be able to move much in your armor.

Basically, it can be done. It might even work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Moving in armor using the traditional strapping that keeps the plastic independent of your body is hard enough. Imagine it if you were all 'stuck together'....

Edited by ZeroRoom

Hi Eric, it's more of a nylon spandex, Lycra is says. It's not the thick squishy kind

Oh whew. I'm glad you don't plan on trooping in an actual wetsuit. I spent part of my morning wondering how I was going to say "ARE YOU MENTAL?!" with some amount of aloha. I know a lot about wrangling neoprene but looks like the drunken ZeroRoom has all the advice you need.

I will add that when gluing stuff onto neoprene it is common to put the suit on and trace a line around the thing you're gluing on. If you do decide to sew velcro onto lycra you might want to put your suit on and draw a line around each velcro patch. Once you go to sew your velcro on you'll know just how much to stretch it out.

Once the velcro wears out I could imagine a funny scene where you take a good deep breath and all of your armor pops off and goes flying.

Aloha,

-Eric

Hey - I'm not as think as you drunk I am Darth Aloha...

I've been to Australia, I know just how drunk you are.

I'm headed there in a few weeks and plan to take two days off when I return to factor in the hangover.

Aloha,

-Eric

Wow, you guys are totally awesome. With all of your insight, I can definitely go into this mission well armed with the knowledge I need to do this right. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use the sewing everything on method after you broke it all down Zero but if I do sew something on, I'll get it right.

Thanks again for all your help and your time!