Creating paint runs tips

Hi all,

many of us want to reproduce current helmets like on star wars helmets.com and screen accurate paint drips is harder than it looks.

i have something that happened to me while making my HIPS kit from ATA...what i am gonna explain would only work for hips and not ABS.

at some point in my build i had to mask some small parts to create chips on my helmet. I use vallejo liquid mask and mask here and there in forms of tinny chips then painted my helmet then removed the mask after painting was dried out.

But as some point i did some other masking on my helmet and weather got against me.

in the meantime the liquid mask was drying and drying and i was not paying attention, usually the liquid mask would come to dry and remain as some sort of rubbery substance that you can easily remove.

however before i had the chance to go out and paint the liquid mask dried up longer than normal...i went outside and painted several coats and i let it dry out. the next time i got my helmet i started to try to remove the liquid mask but found out that it had become so hard that it was near impossible to remove by just rubbing it off and fearing the worst i let them there to simulate paint runs and not paint chips, which was not my intent originally...the paint runs are not super apparent but up close it shows somewhat if you inspect it.

therefore i can say that if you wanted to create specific paint runs i believe you could...

all you have to do is get some liquid mask and paint it in the shape you want on your helmet.

but

there are 2 things you have to do... you have to make sure that if you lay your shape up with the liquid mask it need to be thick enough that is would show up after several coats of paints on your helmet.

also you would need to let the liquid rubber crystallize or almost get crystallized before painting...because the liquid mask is liquid to begin with ( of course) then it rubberized then it hardens and crystallizes...when that state is almost achieve you just paint carefully over and you will get the shape that you need one the paint is dried up.

i have only built one helmet so far and i cannot say that this a 100% guaranteed technique but it happened to me by accident and i was happy with the results of the accident. so if you got some spare plastic from a hips kit and some rubber liquid mask and some krylon paint...

maybe you could try this out...

i am just throwing this out for the benefit of everyone... no guarantees of results but worth a test....

Hi Brendon, good tip , like Karin said you can use superglue which is another good method , i done it with real paint runs on my Gino v3 lid when i was spraying it , it was great just needed to spay a little to much in the area then by tilting the helmet side to side or slightly downwords let the run find its own way with a nice drip on the end ;)

yes i suppose super glue does the trick,,,but super glue is glue and probably a pain to apply and cannot be rubbed off or hard to clean if you change your mind while liquid mask you can paint it into any shape or form and looks decent when dried but then again what do i know... it was a fluke result for me...

:)

cheers!

Edited by LittleOne