New power source. Compact battery

I am building 3 fans into my lid (two vent and one intake) Since they are all 12V fans, I searched for a new, compact battery that could run all three and fit into my lid. I went to a Batteries Plus store and here's what I foundp--------------

It measures 3 3/4 inches long by 1 5/8 wide by 2 inches tall. It is 2 5/8 on a diagonal. I hooked 3-12V fans to it last night and they ran solid for 3 hours. I tested the voltage on the battery at that time and it was still at 14 volts. Most CPU fans draw about .05-.08 amps. This is a 1.3 amp battery. Rechargable wth a 12V 600mA charger.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Piss on my chips? Hahahahaha I am laughing hard. Anyway, I held it with the tip of my thumb against the rear corner of the helmet. This would be between the ear and the back of the helmet. My head went it fine. I do have kind of a small mellon (so I'm told) I do see this being a concern, however, in a smaller helmet like AP. But if it works for the tiny mellon crowd, then it is what it is.

Can I use the " piss on your chips" ?

Well, hers the info from it. Apparently 1.37 pounds --------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Hmmmmm looks huge! but we need to see it placed in a helmet to get a good idea. If it actually fits then great. 3 hrs batt life...... what your average time in armor?

Hmmmmm looks huge! but we need to see it placed in a helmet to get a good idea. If it actually fits then great. 3 hrs batt life...... what your average time in armor?

ditto on how long are you in armor ? Me 3-8 hrs ( or until I almost die lol ) sometimes and 5-6 9v batt's latter ;) and I have 4 fans on my face & 1 outtake fan . But that's allot of room to take up also for the one's that have big heads like me :).

Edited by snoopy trooper

Although It did fit into my lid, I did think of the larger melloned troops and how this might not favor them. I need to be sent two CPU fans to replace the two that arrived broken. As soon as I get them in, I will post pics.

I haven't seen a battery like that before, looks like it will provide good run time. Does it get hot? I run a 9V in series with 2 AAs to each fan in my helmet. Probably ends up weighing close to that one but they sit more flat.

The issue I can see you having is that batteries are fairly heavy... It may be alright you holding the battery in place to test fit for size, but once you have fixed the battery to the lid you are going to have a lot of weight in one particular area... Which could result in the lid pulling in one direction...giving you additional neck strain or making your lid sit 'daft'

I understand your issue with longevity of battery life, but the smaller aa or square batteries will allow you to better distribute the weight and also take up less space...

Plus how long would it take you to swap out the batteries ( carried by your faithful crew of course) during actroop break... 30 secs???

I thought you were going to post some slimline mobile phone type battery when I saw your post... When I looked at the pics , it looked about the 1/4 size of a car battery... Lol

And yes you can use 'piss on your chips' , you never heard that before?

Variation on the 'rain on your parade'....

Good luck , would be interested to see it in situ and how the balance in the lid is affected...

Stuart hit the lid on the head. I wish to say that I am sorry for not applying it completely in the lid before recommending it. I lined everything up and strapped it in the lid and it pulled the lid down so much on the one side it made it unusable. I sure hope that no one went out and bought one on my recommendation. ALthough the battery has a ton of other uses, this one just doesn't apply.

Once again, I am terribly sorry if I steered anyone in the wrong direction. I will next time make sure it works out before saying anything.