Suggestion for learning exercise?

All,

As my TK is still a few weeks out before shipping, I've been reviewing build posts. I got to thinking about my lack of skills with working with adhesives, ABS and such. With that in mind, I think it might be a good idea to pick up a few sheets of ABS this weekend, and try my hand at a small project - just to kind of get my sea legs. I have been working on my blaster some, and have gained some valuable experience there. However, I have a feeling that the TK is going to be a whole different animal than working with a hasbro.

Can anyone suggest a small project that may be a good general exposure to some of the techniques I'll be using when building out my TK? Ideally, I'd like this to be something that I can use going forward as well, but it's not a must have requirement.

So basically, something small, that covers some of the same techniques as building out a tk - cutting, possibly bending, adhering, etc...

I've considered a housing for a mouse droid, or some sort of custom droid body, a sith holocron, a generic sort of busy box with buttons and LED's (just to get some electronics practice in as well).

Any ideas are welcome, just remember I'm currently as noobish as noobs can noob.

Thanks!

well. plastic model kits use a lot of the same methods and can be fun as well :D this is great site if your interested http://www.starwarsmodels.com/

you could also try to make a grappling hook box. it is a small project that looks like fun as well

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

like Pat said about reading, that is also a piece of really good advice ;) going through build threads and studying the screenshots will give the upper hand when your armor arrives as well..

I'm just getting into this particular hobby but have been a model builder all my life. On top of the great advice above, let me add the model builder's motto: Take your time! ;)

Resist the urge to rush any step, even if it means you don't get to wear your armor to that event you wanted to go to.

If this is your first experience with building a kit of any kind, let it be a good experience. Go slowly, read and re-read all the build threads you can find. If you get stuck, put it all down and ask questions here.

There's really no substitute for experience.

I would focus on the blaster and read up on build threads specific to your make of kit. The more research the better prepared you will be.

When you get the kit, resist the urge to tackle something visible like the helmet or chest. Start with something small, like a bicep, it's mostly covered anyways, so if you mess up it won't be as noticeable :)

Go slow, measure twice, cut once, don't rush and try not to get frustrated. Also, engage your local garrisson, most have members that are willing to help out "shine-jobs" like yourself ;)

Of course, the most important is engage the community here on the forum, we're here to help too.

Thanks for the suggestions. The grappling hook box may be a good one - rounded corners, what looks like a pop rivet, contains a moving part, which would need a hole for the cable. Something with snaps may also be a good practice.

I've been scouring the build threads, and I think I've got a fairly good picture of the process, but I'm way novice with the materials. As such, I'd rather get a heat gun a little too close to a throwaway object than the armor.

As for the more visible parts of the TK, yeah, I figure I will save things like helmet or chest for later in the process. My kit comes with an FX helmet, which I think will be a good practice helmet, but I intend to go with another (possibly AP) for EIB after I have gotten comfortable with what I've learned.

score and snap is the fastest and most smooth way of cutting ABS.

line everything up and score your basic cuts with a box cutter and a metal ruler.

you can even clamp the ruler into place and cut against a table for accuracy.

for all the curves, simply use short bladed scissors, or tin snips.

I use Tin snips for most of the easy and simple cuts.

all you need to do after that is run some 60 grit over the edge to make it round.

fun and quick!