Handprint on helmet

Hi,

I was painting my ESB EFX helmet's frown grey outside. After a few minutes of being savaged by mosquitos, I put insect repellant on myself. I forgot that some insect repellants react with plastic and was resting my hand on the bucket. Sequently, there is a huge half-hand print on the top of my helmet and some fingerprints that don't seem to come out with just rubbing and dishwashing detergent.

How do I fix this?

Does the Novus polish fix such things? (What's the exact name of this product?)

Bye

Elwyn

Hi,

I was painting my ESB EFX helmet's frown grey outside. After a few minutes of being savaged by mosquitos, I put insect repellant on myself. I forgot that some insect repellants react with plastic and was resting my hand on the bucket. Sequently, there is a huge half-hand print on the top of my helmet and some fingerprints that don't seem to come out with just rubbing and dishwashing detergent.

How do I fix this?

Does the Novus polish fix such things? (What's the exact name of this product?)

Bye

Elwyn

Mate, this is really easy.

Wait and wait untill it is perfectly dry.

It may take a week or so but be patient.

Take the finest wet and dry paper you can and rub slowly, it will go really matt and look completely different, you will see gloss bits and matt, rub slowly until that area is all matt. Your basically rubbilg the paint back smooth.

Then take a piece of carboard, and believe it or not dip in some silver or brass cleaner. BRASSO, SILVO, ( not one of these spray cleaners)

Rub in small circles, it will start to shine ( some people say T cut etc but I find the cleaner softer, then polish all.

I have to spit and polish boots, its all about bringing things to the same layer before polishing. In the case of paint you have to cut it back rather than add

PMif you want more help, to be honest do not worry, this is a minor thing, I like things perfect but you can easily make it perfect, just be patient with the drying.

DO NOT TOUCH IT UNTIL IT IS FULLY DRY

Also, have you used a car paint, if you helmet is painted in enamels there is a different path to follow as the cleaner and polish will be too harsh.

PM me if you need any help either way

Regards

gra

Edited by tk7713gra30

Hi Elwyn! I see that this is your first post on the FISD, I just want to say welcome aboard!

Do just like Graham said above, let the plactic completely cure/dry and wet sand with either 2000 to 3000 grit Wet or Dry sandpaper. BTW, 2000 to 3000 Wet or Dry grit is also used for polishing porcelain and natural stones counter tops. You can purchase the higher grit of wet or dry sandpaper at pro paint shops. Just google for local pro paint stores in your area.

I would suggest doing the wet sanding process. The process of wet sanding is to help keep the material that you are sanding clean of debris, by rinsing the build up of sanding dust from the sandpaper and surface. Sanding dust can cause uneven sanding and possibly make scrapes in the surface. So by dipping your sandpaper in a large bowl of clear clean water several times throughout the sanding process will clean the sand paper. Also rinse the surface periodically to keep sanding debris off of it.

If the bowl of water starts looking murky, dump and replace with fresh, clean water.

You can also find plastic rubbing compounds to bring the luster back. I would suggest the Novus Plastic Polish Kit, as well.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed