Peter's AM Build[*AM]

Hey Peter, here is what I see you possibly need to do to your kit to get it positioned correctly and fitting right. AM kits have a little bit more plastic to them than most guys need.

Necessary trimming, please refer to the pix with the red dotted lines, as reference. Some of the places that you trim will need return edges. If you haven't looked at Panda's AM build and how to on making return edges, I have given you both the links here. Both of Terry's topics are going to be extremely helpful with you AM kit.

Pandatrooper's AM build thread[*AM] long term project!

HOWTO: Make a return edge on armor using a heat sealing iron Video tutorials!

First thing, about your back and chest piece, the tops need to be trimmed and raised slightly, which will give you more room for the other parts to maybe fit in the right position. Take a little bit off at a time. It is easier to trim off a little bit than to have to buy a whole new kit to try to replace the parts that you oopsed on.

One more thing, the pix don't show this, but you need to trim off a little from your kidney plate. But first trim a little bit off the top of the butt plate and little off the bottom of the back plate and see how it is working.

If you have any other questions or need help on something before doing it just holler.

PeterAMfixhelp1.jpg

Edited by RogueTrooper

I'd push the kidney, butt, and ab piece lower. It looks like it's really riding high on you.

But Clint hit it on the head - always do your test fitting in your actual trooper undersuit to get an accurate fitting assessment.

Thanks for the response everybody! My undersuit is still in the mail, but I couldn't wait to see how it looked. lol.

RogueTrooper-that's exactly what I was looking for, guess I have lots of trimming to do! I'm going to wait until my suit is here so I can trim accurately!

One thing, you don't want the back piece to overlap the kidney plate or the kidney plate to overlap the butt plate. You want them to butt against one another. Here are a couple of pix (on set and promo) of original TK armor (view of the back), to kinda give you an idea of how the armor should fit together.

2681243691_c4dda5bb43_o.jpg

reximholstered.jpg

From your pix, your back plate to me looks like it may be riding a little too low, but still needs to be trimmed. Refer to the dotted red lines for the proximity of where it needs to be trimmed (as shown in prior post).

I believe I understand the question you asked "If i cut 3-4 inches off should I not cut the back and butt plate equally". I think the photo below should help you about approximately where you should trim the butt plate.

PeterButtPlate.jpg

Here is a promo pic of a ANH TK from 1977-78. You can see how the butt plate is trimmed and positioned.

2682062804_57e35b0864_o.jpg

But like Brian and Clint stated above, have your undersuit on when test fitting your armor. I know it's hard to wait, but it better to do that than make a mistake.

I think i saw a thread for this question a while back but I can't find it...

When assembling the shins are they the same for either sides like the shoulder bells or is there a way to tell.

Hey Peter, Clint is correct about the calf armor.

The thread that you probably remember is this one: (look at post #11) for my diagram.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12804&st=0&p=156158entry156158

Hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Peter, Clint is correct about the calf armor.

The thread that you probably remember is this one: (look at post #11) for my diagram.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12804&st=0&p=156158entry156158

Hope it helps.

Here is an update to where I currently am at.. sorry for the terrible camera phone pictures..

photo1ghb.jpg

photo2tm.jpg

photo3aq.jpg

photo4yj.jpg

photoove.jpg

I'm having issues with the thighs and shins..

Shins - pretty tight at the ankles... should i cut more off or try to bend the armor with a heat gun?

Thighs - I've shortened the thigh strap to sit as high as it possibly can (which looks a bit high... when I walk I feel like the entire thigh feels way too long (the lower back of my thigh is being pressed up against the lower back of this piece if that makes sense when I walk..) .. how should i trim?

the ankles are a bit tight and the thigh armor doesn't fit well.. I'm shortened the thigh strap to sit as high as it possibly can but lower back of my thigh armor is a bit on in the back.

Hey Peter,

Looks like you have done a lot of great work.

To me it looks like your thighs are a wee bit too long and will need trimming to shorten them just a little bit and make a return edge using a heat sealing iron. You can get a heat sealing iron at most hobby shops that deal in RC airplanes.

Here is the link to show you how to do that: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12972

Here are couple of places that you can get one online, if you can find one locally:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N6Y0Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006OBN2O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XBGZJHVP759RAADTQKS

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB357&P=FR

For you shins, you can do one of two things. Take the calf pieces apart and add a shim to add a little bit more room around the ankle area, or you could try the heat gun process, but be very cautious because you could warp the plastic. Either way you do it, have your boots that you are going to wear on when test fitting, so you will allow for the extra material underneath the armor at the ankles.

Also, I know it was just a test fitting, but your belt was a little low. I kind of gave you a line where the top should be in the pics below. Once you get the belt where you need it, just add a couple of snaps on the left and right side of the ab plate to hold the belt in place.

petersamwork.jpg

Keep up the good work man! if you have questions just post. :)

>

I filed down the return edge on bottom of my shins on both of my suits with some metal files, where the armor closes around my ankle over the boot. I did this after a troop with lots of down time and standing around, and the armor started to bite at my Achilles-tendent something fierce. Once I was finished, unless you turned the shin upside down or did a side by side with a unfinished shin you couldn't tell.

That might help some.

Trim off the return on the bottom of the shins, otherwise they are very tight as you've discovered.

You can also cut notches in the bottom of the thigh and tops of the shin backs like this if you have pinching.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10434&view=findpost&p=156470

I like Carlos's idea, as the return edge at the bottom of the shin pieces is completely unnecessary.

As a clarification, when you said they were tight at the ankles, did you mean they were tight in circumference (as in too narrow), or that the shins are too long and as a result pushing down on your instep? If it's the latter (and that's how it looks from your photos), then definitely trim a bit of length off the bottoms, but make sure you are wearing your trooping boots to get an accurate assessment.

I really like the way your thighs are positioned now - ideally you want to have little-to-no undersuit showing at the hips. Whether or not you can achieve that look depends a lot on how long your legs are - with me it's not possible no matter how I position the thighs. Still, the tradeoff is the better it looks, the less mobility you have, so you'll need to find a compromise between looks and practicality that works for your body, which may take a troop or two before you find that "sweet spot". If the way you have it now doesn't work for you in terms of mobility, then trim a little at the top while still retaining the contour of the top of the thigh. I'd recommmend reviewing Pandatrooper's AM build thread for guidance on how to do so. It also looks like you have enough material to work with to add the ANH-style "notch" if you choose to. Again, don't take any measurements for alterations unless you have your trooper boots on as well.

For the belt, I'd do three things:

(1) Glue your button box to your ab first before moving the plastic utility belt. The top of the belt should just about touch the bottom of the button box, and of course run straight across the ab armor. Once you do that, you'll have the utility belt positioned properly and then you can attach the male snaps to either side of the ab piece per Tom's guidance.

(2) Push the butt plate down a bit to ensure there is no overlap between the kidney and butt.

(3) Pull the canvas belt up a bit, between that and pulling the butt down it should correctly expose the gap between the kidney and butt pieces.

EDIT: I just realized you are building a sandtrooper - no button box required. So it looks like you have the utility belt about right as is, although if you wanted to pull it up to the line Tom has in his drawing, I don't think it would hurt anything.

Also, larger photos would help. ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys! AM does requires soooo much trimming.. lol.. I've used all of terry's tricks to put this thing together so I've been using both the build threads for a lot of reference.. Once my boots come in I'll test fit with the boots before I make any adjustments to the shins..

Terry How much do you think I should be trimming off the top of the thigh and bottom of the shins? Go half an inch at a time? btw, on your heating iron video I know you showed us how to do it on your handplate.. can you give me some measurements because I don't have a second kit to measure off of.. thanks!

• Like 1

I trimmed off about a inch off the top of the thigh armor (without the inner thigh or rear) but I still have the back push against the back of my knee's.. I think I need to take about the same off for the rear... I know it would kill me to wear it as is right now...

Are you guys able to jog or sit in your suits?

You can trim the back of your thigh bottoms and the back of your shin/calf tops to give you more mobility.

As for jogging, some TKers can jog without any problems and some TKers have some difficulty. It is how much space is in between your thigh armor to your calf armor.

As for sitting, some TKers say they do sit for short periods of time with any problems (with the butt plate still on).

And some TKers take off the butt plate before sitting ( for comfort and to keep from possibly damaging the butt plate armor).

BACKtrimmed.jpg

Edited by RogueTrooper

You can trim the back of your thigh bottoms and the back of your shin/calf tops to give you more mobility.

As for jogging, some TKers can jog without any problems and some TKers have some difficulty. It is how much space is in between your thigh armor to your calf armor.

As for sitting, some TKers say they do sit for short periods of time with any problems (with the butt plate still on).

And some TKers take off the butt plate before sitting ( for comfort and to keep from possibly damaging the butt plate armor).

BACKtrimmed.jpg

NICE! I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled out today but I'm gonna get on that trimming! THis is the first time I've seen that diagram, you are a life saver.

Any suggestions on the butt plate? I have no butt so it doesn't sit right =\ I know Terry had a post about that somewhere but I can't find it. lol.

Terry How much do you think I should be trimming off the top of the thigh and bottom of the shins? Go half an inch at a time? btw, on your heating iron video I know you showed us how to do it on your handplate.. can you give me some measurements because I don't have a second kit to measure off of.. thanks!

I think you mean bottom of the thighs and top of the shins? Yes, 1/2" then try it on again. If necessary trim a little more.

But first, if you're trimming the thigh tops (at the front) why not just trim ALL the way around the top of the thigh? As long as you match the original shape, it should be fine. If you plan on putting a return edge there, make sure you leave 3/8" extra plastic. This will reduce the length of the thigh at the tops, then you can leave the bottom of the thighs as is (no notches required).

In regards to the hand plate trimming, check this thread here:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=13491

NICE! I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled out today but I'm gonna get on that trimming! THis is the first time I've seen that diagram, you are a life saver.

Any suggestions on the butt plate? I have no butt so it doesn't sit right =\ I know Terry had a post about that somewhere but I can't find it. lol.

BackTrimmedbyRT.jpg

The reason you have not seen this diagram is because I personally made the diagram especially for you, Bro. I do that quite often to help out. I have alway said a picture is worth a thousand words.

As for the butt plate, is it too low and feels like it is to far away from your butt? If this is the case then try trimming a little bit off of the top off the butt plate to get it closer to where you feel more comfortable.

Like Terry did here with his AM build. He trimmed the top off of the butt plate and then took a hobby heat sealing iron to recreate the return edge on the top of the butt plate (see below).

One thing, the butt plate isn't suppose to fit like a pair of jockeys, but with a little tweaking you can get it at least comfortable.

BTW, how are you doing after having you wisdom teeth pulled? Sometimes those suckers are in there deep! I hope you are feeling better.

I’ve cut about 5/8†from the upper butt and removed the return edge too.

4581949332_96444d2fba.jpg

BackTrimmedbyRT.jpg

The reason you have not seen this diagram is because I personally made the diagram especially for you, Bro. I do that quite often to help out. I have alway said a picture is worth a thousand words.

As for the butt plate, is it too low and feels like it is to far away from your butt? If this is the case then try trimming a little bit off of the top off the butt plate to get it closer to where you feel more comfortable.

Like Terry did here with his AM build. He trimmed the top off of the butt plate and then took a hobby heat sealing iron to recreate the return edge on the top of the butt plate (see below).

One thing, the butt plate isn't suppose to fit like a pair of jockeys, but with a little tweaking you can get it at least comfortable.

BTW, how are you doing after having you wisdom teeth pulled? Sometimes those suckers are in there deep! I hope you are feeling better.

Your diagrams are worth more than a thousand words my friend! I did however get my 3 buttons for my ab plate so that was the only thing I did today.. Surprisingly I don't look like a chipmunk today, if I'm still good tomorrow I will get to trimming on the legs and see if I can get the butt armor to fit better.

So I trimmed an inch off the front of the thighs, and curved/trimmed the back bottom of the thigh and top back of the shins... I just tried it on and I can actually walk without issues now (awesome!) now the left thigh gets caught on the sniper knee plate once in a while.. and I figured out why the butt plate does fit well.. the inner thigh sits high and pushes the but plate up and out.. should I trim an inch off the top back of thigh to match what I did with the front or do i need to do something with the butt plate?

Heat and bend the pointy-under crotch part of the butt upwards more. It's too flat on the AM.

Also, in regards to the knee plate catching, make sure:

- the thigh around your knee area is the correct diameter. It should be fitted around your knee with almost no space. Most people make the thighs way too big. The smaller the thigh opening around the knee, the less chance it catches the knee plate.

- make sure you have trimmed the return around your ankles on the shins, so that they sit as low as possible. You can also stick some foam inside the shin under the knee area to push it away from your knee, preventing it from catching.