Jedislayer's AM Build[*AM]

Guest jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

ok my AM Lite kit is coming tommorow so i might as well start the build thread now, got everything i need to cut and glue the armor, will be using e-6000 again. i also went to the fabric store yesterday and got all the stuff i need to make the strap system, im gonna be using snaps on tabs and elastic inside, i got a garter from mightytank which is awesome, i will be swapping out the polypropolene i think it is belt that he has on there with a leather belt from walmart so i can make it tight and it wont go anwhere, considering also getting suspenders to just take some of the weight off the elastics but we'll see, also got tkittells awesome canvas white belt for the outside and a neckseal from gotarmor, its like a glossy plastic like material which i never noticed before until i looked closely but it is the same sort of material that the originals were made of, atleast thats what it looks like heh. special thanks to quebectrooper for the gloves which i couldnt find anywhere lol.. so IF the guy drops off the armor at my apartment tommorow ill have pics, but my name is different than the name on the buzzer so last time he didnt deliver it, it just went to the post office and if thats the case ill have to wait till friday morning to pic it up >.>

ok my AM Lite kit is coming tommorow so i might as well start the build thread now, got everything i need to cut and glue the armor, will be using e-6000 again. i also went to the fabric store yesterday and got all the stuff i need to make the strap system, im gonna be using snaps on tabs and elastic inside, i got a garter from mightytank which is awesome, i will be swapping out the polypropolene i think it is belt that he has on there with a leather belt from walmart so i can make it tight and it wont go anwhere, considering also getting suspenders to just take some of the weight off the elastics but we'll see, also got tkittells awesome canvas white belt for the outside and a neckseal from gotarmor, its like a glossy plastic like material which i never noticed before until i looked closely but it is the same sort of material that the originals were made of, atleast thats what it looks like heh. special thanks to quebectrooper for the gloves which i couldnt find anywhere lol.. so IF the guy drops off the armor at my apartment tommorow ill have pics, but my name is different than the name on the buzzer so last time he didnt deliver it, it just went to the post office and if thats the case ill have to wait till friday morning to pic it up >.>

Good luck mate! always and always CUT LESS!!!!

Guest jedislayer5000

i say cut more. cut it down to screen used size!

i will be doing that, but slowly is the key hehe not all at once in case its too small >.> can always cut more off

Guest jedislayer5000

well, well what do we have here :D after waiting 40 mins in the lineup at the post office i got my armor.. i must say the quality is superb, each piece individually wrapped felt like it was christmas! got em all layed out and pics taken so time to get to work! the quality of this armor is superb better than any ive seen, each piece in pristine condition and shining in all its holiness :P

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

check out the cool under armor i got from wal mart today, just saw it a week ago so i got it but had to wait till they got small in, fits great shirt is a little big but wont be noticeable under the suit, there are no logos or anything anywhere on it just all black think it will work great.. only thing is i may have to wear a sweater so i dont freeze to death rofl so coooold

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

i have the biceps curing right now, theyre clamped.. but ive run into a small problem with my forearms, ive cut them to size but the outer piece is quite a bit larger than the inner piece making it impossible to close the gap, the outside kind of hovers above the inside piece 1/3", i will be adding velcro since theres no way in hell my hands would pass through there lol but im wondering if theres some way to fix this

snapshot2-1.jpg

Brandon, as I've previously mentioned to you:

- remove the return on the wrist

- size the forearm so that the wrist opening allows your hand to squeeze through

- use masking tape / clamps to close the gaps and glue them (you shouldn't be "short" material if you sized and cut the inner forearm properly

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/arms.html

Also, I see you ordered a pauldron. Are you going HWT or TD? Make sure you build it with the appropriate parts, the AM kit includes all the options.

Guest jedislayer5000

Brandon, as I've previously mentioned to you:

- remove the return on the wrist

- size the forearm so that the wrist opening allows your hand to squeeze through

- use masking tape / clamps to close the gaps and glue them (you shouldn't be "short" material if you sized and cut the inner forearm properly

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/arms.html

Also, I see you ordered a pauldron. Are you going HWT or TD? Make sure you build it with the appropriate parts, the AM kit includes all the options.

hmm, the problem is that the outer part is wider than the inner part so it doesnt quite reach, i can squeeze the outer part and they fit together fine but i doubt that will hold together since its alot of pressure, altho if i remove the return edge that will make both pieces more flexible... i dont think my hand will be able to fit through whether i have a return edge or not, my hands are much bigger then my arms

edit: not going TD but possible HWT not sure yet

Edited by jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

ok biceps have finished curing (had to re-glue them both since they were too big >.>) and just finished taking off the return off the forearms, got them fully sanded and ready to be glued, i just finished using the heat gun on them to make them meet up since they are alot smaller than they started lol.. will have pics soon

Guest jedislayer5000

cover strips ready to be cut

IMG_1031.jpg

here are the completed biceps

IMG_1039.jpg

inner shims being glued on the bracers, got about 10 clamps and magnets on there lol... the strip on the inside only goes half way down due to the fact that if it went all the way i wouldnt be able to get my hand out :P

IMG_1037.jpg

i just finished gluing the outer cover strips on both bracers, already have the thighs fully cut, sanded and ready to be glued and will do the shins tommorow, then its onto the body :)

Guest jedislayer5000

did my first test fitting today, trimmed quite a bit off the chest, back, ab and kidney plates, have yet to do the butt plate it fits me really weird so need to figure that out, i have the arms completed but the thighs are drying and i havent glued the shins yet so pics of that to come.. i am going to be pulling in the sides of the chest plate alot cuz as you can see it sticks out the sides alot but thats all i can think of, i know the back is overlapping the kidney plate but not by alot im gonna try to just take some more off the top of the back straps so i can move the back up more and not have to trim the kidney

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

and heres a pic of the legs, just came up with an idea for the shins since their the hardest i left them to last but im gonna be gluing them in a few mins.. had to hold the thighs up cuz i dont have a tight enough belt and tape fails lol, they are very awkward in the crotch area, hopefully i can get them to not rub so much when i get a proper strapping system, i have no idea how bigger troopers do it lol.. obviousley dont have the sniper plate or ammo belt on the legs yet, need to get a rivet gun.. does anyone know what size rivets hold up each? i can prolly find it somewhere here if i look

IMG_1054.jpg

Edited by jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

and the shins have been glued, im doing them clamshell style, can never have enough clamps!

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

edit: excuse the mess, my room is my workshop :P

Edited by jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

i am considering making my suit 100% TD interchangeable since i already have the parts and a pauldron.. all i would have to do is not permanently attatch the shoulder straps, and velcro or somehow stick on the ab panel not permanently (screwed in from behind possibly) and i was thinking for the knee plate, i would velcro it to the leg and cut off rivet heads and glue them on so it looks like it has been riveted, i dont see why that shouldnt work? anyone have any suggestions greatly appreciated, also i think i will be needing some ammo pouches, dont wanna spend hundreds of dollars on something so small so if anyone could point my in the right direction that would be great, faux is ok with me as long as they look good

Guest jedislayer5000

progress update: all limbs have been glued with covering strips, all body armor pieces and accessories have been sized, cut and fully sanded... all that i have left now is to attatch the accessories and add a strapping system but i will be taking a week break for christmas starting now :)

and heres a pic of the legs, just came up with an idea for the shins since their the hardest i left them to last but im gonna be gluing them in a few mins.. had to hold the thighs up cuz i dont have a tight enough belt and tape fails lol, they are very awkward in the crotch area, hopefully i can get them to not rub so much when i get a proper strapping system, i have no idea how bigger troopers do it lol.. obviousley dont have the sniper plate or ammo belt on the legs yet, need to get a rivet gun.. does anyone know what size rivets hold up each? i can prolly find it somewhere here if i look

IMG_1054.jpg

Mate, please wear your shoes then see how the shin and thigh match up. The Shins some time goes higher with boots!

Dont cut the shins just yet even after the boot! you can do that finally once you have fit top to bottom,

After a few troops, your body will tell you, where needs trimming!! thanks