Question about armor fitting

Guest jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

ok so naturally, my ab plate and kidney plate stick way out the side of me on either side, approx 4" on each side... so i measured twice, and fitted with tape to get a distance on either end of the kidney and ab plates to cut so that, once fitted to me, they will butt together... HOWEVER my dilemna is.. how do i get them to butt together if theyre sticking way out? i was thinking if i added 3 evenly placed snaps up the very sides of the ab and kidney plates to force them to butt together would work, BUT this is putting quite a bit of stress on the armor, altho the kidney plate is like as flexible as a cover strip so very flexible lol so im thinking this wont be suck a bit deal. another thing i was thinking was permanently gluing a wide, black piece of non flexible fabric connecting the ab and kidney plate and then slipping into my armor like a pair of pants as the rest will be connected via straps. plz let me know what you think and any advice you have :)

Guest jedislayer5000

oh another thing i forgot to ask is, the tabs i cut out for the installation of the strap system are 30mm x 30mm now what i dont get is once i install a snap into the piece of plastic, and its sticking out the bottom a couple mm, how am i supposed to glue the plastic tab to the armor? do i cut out something the same size with a hole in it the size of the snap and put it underneath like a sandwitch or what?

Do you have a pix? Instead of using snaps I actually used a piece of plastic that is the length of the pieces vertically with velcro on one side, then put velcro on the insides of the ab/kidney. The "shim" is entirely inside both pieces. Thus, there is grip along the entire vertical length. While this works OK, I'd think a better solution is to head the pieces and bend them to a better shape for your body. I'm not skilled enough to try this, but others I know have with excellent results.

I'm a slimmer build, and I usually heat the ab / kidney with a heat gun and make the torso narrower.

For the AB, I heat it along the vertical lines and along the sides and then squeeze the sides to the shape I want. For the kidney, i heat it along the vertical box lines, and the sides and squeeze it to shape. be careful not to pinch the return edges if you have them.

I do the same as Paul. My rivet / left side is elastic, and the right side has a plastic inner shim with velcro. It's a great closure method and is fast to get in and out of. I have helped other garrison mates with this same method.

Here's a photo of my ATA and AM with the insides shown.

----

----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020