Newbie mistakes

TKRobert

Man, I wish I had joined before I purchased my first set of armour a few weeks ago. Typical rookie I went to Ebay as it is hard to find info on where to buy the good stuff at a good price anywhere else. Honestly, I still don't really know where to look online to get reputable armour. Anyway, went the Ebay route and bought some "FX" armour for an affordable price. It doesn't look too bad from comparisons I've tried to make through photos but I can imagine to you FISD folks it's an obvious recast. It's nice and heavy ABS and seems durable. The helmet is completely wonky but not much I can do about that now.

Anyway, how pissed off should I be? I mean, will I be a total laughingstock with this "no-name" armour? Can someone point me to a site where I can buy a decent set without worrying about someone taking my money and running and without breaking the bank? You guys seem to really know your stuff and am hoping for some guidance. Maybe I can make due with the armour but get a great bucket to make up for it? Help me FISD, you're my only hope.

First off - an introduction would be appropriate. Please create an introduction thread in the New Member Introductions section.

Second - In order to properly assess your kit, we need to see some photos. From there, the experts here (one of which will be yourself, with time and due diligence) can provide you with advice on how to salvage it, assuming it's possible.

Third - Best thing to do is start reading. Everything you need to know is right here on this forum. Start here, paying particular attention to the pinned topics: Read Me First

Fourth - as you've already discovered, eBay is not your friend. Especially this time of year, when demand (and prices) for costumes are at their highest.

Welcome to the community. :)

welcome :D you should be fine with the FX armor, as for the helmet you can always upgrade that with a screen accurate one. check here first, http://forum.whitear...showtopic=11538

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

you beat me to it lol :P

Edited by dashrazor

Thank you and sorry for jumping the gun without an introduction (a symptom of my armour anxiety)...have made sure to check in on the intro thread and will also make sure to follow your advice on where to look next!

First off - an introduction would be appropriate. Please create an introduction thread in the New Member Introductions section.

Second - In order to properly assess your kit, we need to see some photos. From there, the experts here (one of which will be yourself, with time and due diligence) can provide you with advice on how to salvage it, assuming it's possible.

Third - Best thing to do is start reading. Everything you need to know is right here on this forum. Start here, paying particular attention to the pinned topics: Read Me First

Fourth - as you've already discovered, eBay is not your friend. Especially this time of year, when demand (and prices) for costumes are at their highest.

Welcome to the community. :)

Well, you're not the first and not the last. I'd say just wear the crap out of it until it falls apart. Since you know it's recast now anyway, why not have fun with it? Try sitting down, try doing the rolled edges mod. I mean it's not like you paid $1500 for a set of kit and would cry should there be a boo boo.

My $.02 - my first set was eBay bought FX and it eventually became a TD (sandtrooper). By the time I sold it, I had trooped the Rose Bowl parade in it and it actually had gouges from use.

Welcome aboard!

I say: Build it, troop in it, modify it, troop in it some more. You will learn a LOT more about armor, and down the road you might sell it and upgrade to something better / more accurate that suits your needs.