My First Set of Armor-AM?

So I am looking into getting my first set of armor. I am 6'0 and 210-220 pounds. I have heard that AM armor is good for that height range. Plus I would prefer that since it is already trimmed and I would really be afraid I would mess something up if I trimmed it. Plus I found a set with the helmet for 475 dollars from one of the emails posted in the armor threads.

I was curious, how much assembly/tweaking is usually associated with the AM armor set. Would it be a good choice for a first time set? Or should I try something else?

At that price ($475) I don't think you can go wrong. I actually just received my AM armor about 2 hrs ago via UPS.

Very well packaged and organized. I'm still a bit in awe. I knew it would be a good kit, but man - this is really, really nice.

Shiney, sharp, and trimmed. Much, much more than I expected. Comes with pretty much everything you need.

I'm about your size (6'2" 210lbs) and I think it will be perfect. There is extra material that can be trimmed off or added to

on all the critical pieces.

Granted, this is my first set of armor, but I am confident that the quality of this armor would be very hard to beat.

It comes with very detailed instruction packet as well. (20 pages or so) Inspires confidence.

I'm about to hit the sack and get an early start in the morning assembling.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the AM kit. Go for it.

Edited by juanverde

I'm 6'1" 210lbs, and I wear AM.

AM is a good choice - both for your physique and as a first set. No sanding or painting required. You will however, probably have to trim to fit. AM was built with a wide variety of physiques in mind, but especially for larger troopers, so it comes with more material than is necessary to accomodate most bodies. It's not the most accurate kit out there but it can look good nonetheless.

John, congratulations on the arrival of your big brown box. B)

As for those that "very detailed instruction packet" - toss it out. There are many build threads here that can guide you through the process, ranging from relatively simple to fairly advanced. AM lends itself to builders of pretty much all skill levels. Have a look around, and pick a handful of builds to emulate. As always, ask questions if you get stuck - better to prevent a mistake by asking in advance, than having to correct that mistake later.

Oh, as for the helmet that comes with the full AM kit? Toss that out right alongside the instructions - or get an AM lite kit.

• 1 month later...

First and foremost...

There is no one 'best' armor. There is a 'best' armor for *you* depending on a few factors:

1) Your budget

2) What your body size is (yes, different armors lend themselves for different body types) *

3) How experienced are you at building armor

4) It's not the kit, it's how it's fitted to the wearer that counts *

Pretty much says it all. :)

• 3 weeks later...