1st AP Lid Build

Hi folks!

Here is an AP lid in the making. This is my cousin's (Teri on the boards) lid in which I have been given the task of assembling.

A few things first...

Like many of you, I used the "factory" trims lines which will give me fits...gaps...I know the eyes need to be filed a bit more and 2 more teeth need to be opened up. Just need to hear from my fellow troopers on how it looks so far and any assembly tips you can muster

Here it is...

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

Ok...what do you think?...and don't candy coat it!! :lol::dancing-trooper:

Maybe trim (the round part) of the ears down a little (1/8"), sand them against a flat surface so it's even? And get rid of the small return on the back of the ears as well... The eyes could be a little bigger (not much), again just get rid of that edge. That's my two cents. Also, I would get some different brow trim, that stuff stains the ABS. I had used it on my 1st AP lid, and it made it yellow all around it. Get the good stuff from seals direct.

Edited by TK 4702

Yeah, what Jessie said. The ears aren't too bad at all. If you are going for an accurate look I wouldn't worry too much about the finish. Alot of troopers make them look too perfect. Remember the originals were thrown together. They only had about two weeks to pull, assemble and paint 56 helmets for the production.

:)

I personally don't think you need to do anything. just open the eyes a little and finish that frown.

the ears are always the hardest part to get flush.

the best thing to remember is that the backs of the ears should be longer than the fronts for the lower parts.

and when you're cutting out the upper ear, it's not a flat circle, it's a circle that's beveled on a curve.

if you sand the caps perfectly flat they will stick up in the center when you mount them.

if you leave the top of the ear and the base of the cap on a slight curve it will follow the round parts

of the helmet better.

after trimming 4 sets of ears for the four helmets I've built, it's very tough to get a flush ear cap.

just remember it's all curves, not flats...

and when you're cutting out the upper ear, it's not a flat circle, it's a circle that's beveled on a curve.

if you sand the caps perfectly flat they will stick up in the center when you mount them.

A very good point! :duim: And it really all depends on how YOU want it to look. If you did want the ears tighter, it would probably be best to mark them with a pencil (while the ears are mounted to the helmet), any areas that may need additional trimming/sanding down. just follow the curve of the helmet, match it up best you can.

Here's a few pics from my last AP lid build (below), it's about the best job I've done on ears.

web.jpg?ver=12800748320001

web.jpg?ver=12833052190001

web.jpg?ver=12800748610001

web.jpg?ver=12812254750003

web.jpg?ver=12833052030001

web.jpg?ver=12833052230001

Edited by TK 4702

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I made my AP helmet, I LOVE seeing them, I really do think AP has the best helmet out there, its so crisp and pretty every time I see it built.

I heartedly agree with you sir! :3po:

Edited by TK 4702

I used Plastic weld, and glued them shut. Sometimes I use painter's Caulk if the gaps are tight enough, then prime and paint. I might also (very carefully) use a heat gun to get the curves to match up. But for the most part I just use a pencil, marking where I need to sand it down, following the curve of the lid. That alone is the best way, just leave yourself enough to play with. Can't go back, once it's gone, it's gone. :)