Which helmet with which kit?

I just posted my intro a couple weeks ago. I'm looking into my first set of armor. I won't be upgrading or getting another set probably ever. 4 kids and my husband is being kind enough to buy me one set for our anniversary so... this is it. :)

I'm a female, 5'9", 125 or so if that helps.

I'm considering the FX kit (yes, I know it's large but have seen it cut down to fit smaller builds) but have heard a lot of people replace the helmet that comes with it?

1. If I were to go with FX, what helmet would any of you recommend?

2. I'm also considering the ATA. How is the helmet with that one?

3. TE2 is a little out of my price range but I'm curious as to the helmet quality. I know you have to assemble it but beyond that I am not familiar with it.

Any help would be appreciated. And I apologize if I put this in the wrong section. :)

Hi Jessie,

There is no perfect guideline and some people mix n match, e.g. I have a garrison mate with FX armor and a TE2 helmet. That said, most people for an FX (or AM) kit will suggest you go AP for your size as it's ABS like the armor and thus won't require painting. The RT will be larger (though is also ABS) and there is the MRCE, but the MRCE is a different color than the armor and will look not quite 100% when viewed straight on.

If you go ATA, the helmet should match perfect as it will be whatever color you paint the suit, or as some are now doing they just buff the whole kit.

TE2 helmet quality has historically been good.

I took the liberty of giving you 501st access, you'll find pricing there too.

I would suggest the ATA kit if budget is a concern. The FX kit can be cut down, but it's going to be more work to cut it down and assemble it than the ATA. Also, the original FX helmet is really big, and there's more accurate and affordable choices now. The ATA is much more accurate in terms of size and proportions.

At 5'9", you're at a good height for ATA, you might need a little padding here and there, but I think it will be great for a first build. Keep in mind that it's HIPS plastic which comes in a more of a matte finish, so if you want it shiny you'll need to polish or paint it.

I'm 5' 8" and 145 lbs, so I have a slim build. I built an ATA with not problems or major mods, and it fits me perfect. My AM kit required a lot more work to make it fit my proportions.

*PS: I think it's great that your family is supporting in your new hobby. :)

Hey Jessie,

FX is really no longer being made. The only way to find them now is recast on Ebay. I strongly urge you to stay away from that.

AM (Armor Master)also known as Tupperware has replaced it. It is made from ABS and it has much sharper details and is a lot more accurate than the old FX. AM is still going to be for the larger size Trooper like the old FX. They are re-working the lid, but no definite confirmation on it. You can get the AM in a "lite" kit, which means that you will receive everything except the helmet and mic kit. This means that you can then get a more accurate helmet, like ATA, TM, TE2, etc. The only drawback is that your helmet and armor may not match color tone, but the original screen used ANH and ESB Stunt lids were made from a khaki HDPE and then painted white. But, the armor was made out of a milk white ABS.

So if you went with the AM armor and some one elses lid, you would be in step with the original screen used suits. Your height is OK for an AM, but you might have to do alot of trimming to the suit to fit your frame.

If you want to see AM armor look into the newer builds by Terry and Brian. They should give you a lot of insight into the AM armor.

-----------

ATA is a great kit. It is probably the cheapest priced kit. But, that doesn't mean that it lacks in quality. It is going to be closer to your body frame without having to do a lot of trimming to it. It is made from HIPS which will need to be painted. So that is something that you have to consider in that you will have a little more work to do with a HIPS kit. A lot of people swear by it.

You mentioned TE2. It is also made out of HIPS. Both ATA and TE2 are very similar to one another. I have seen people mention that the TE2 is slightly sharper than ATA in certain areas.

In my opinion the ATA and TE2 would be better suited for you size wise. The original screen used suits were cast for an aveage size man, 5'10" and around 160 lbs. and that is what ATA and TE2 were patterned after. You said that you are 5'9" and 125 lbs., so these should be a better fit for you.

So this is my two cents worth, hope it helps.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks guys! Since she's a garrison mate, I've been trying to help Jessie with a decision, as well. You're pretty much echoing me. I'm very excited she's looking to join our ranks, so the more help we can give her, the better!

Thanks everyone. There are so many options and yea, the CTG has been really helpful but I wanted to get a very wide opinion since this is the only set I'm buying.

I've been in the 501st....6 years now? Maybe more. lol. Had a Boushh and Mara and just always wanted the TK so now I"m finally in a position to get one. Yep, the hubby is super supportive of the hobby. haha. Good thing.

ATA is sounding pretty good right now if I can get some help with painting.

He sometimes offers seconds for about $100 - you can't get cheaper than that anywhere.

Oh, I meant the whole armor kit. I suppose the AP helmet is something to consider but it sounds like if I go with ATA the helmet is pretty good so I won't have to swap out. No?

If you go ATA, you'll go 100% ATA for both helmet & suit. It's the most cost effective way to do so. The detail won't quite be as sharp at TE2, but it's also $300 less per full kit.

Alas, it's trade-offs.