Rubies/MR-CE mismatch

Hi chaps,

I need your advice and guidance.

I have been chatting to a guy who lives locally and would like to join the 501st. He owns Rubies armour and what I believe is a MR ANH Stunt helmet. It's not so much the components which are the problem, but rather the mismatch.

He has his head in 1977 and his body in 1983! :lol:

I've advised him so far that his Rubies armour is fine but it will only be any good for a ROTJ-style suit. If I understand correctly, the buttons on the abdomen and the trim are not removable in any way so he will never realistically be able modify it to be ANH/ESB.

I have also told him that I think his only option is to get himself another helmet, i.e. specifically a ROTJ helmet. This is where I'm not entirely sure so just on equestion in case ...

Would there be any way to modify the MR helmet to make it look like a ROTJ helmet and, most importantly, meet with 501st standards for a ROTJ TK? Or is that just as difficult (impossible) as modifying his armour.

Any advice, however general or specific, abotu his options gratefull received.

Cheers

Rich

Just noticed that it seems they've changed the Rubies buttons and they're now the same way round as ANH/ESB.

So, what if he painted them the right colour? Would the ROTJ-style ribbing prevent him from joining the 501st as ANH/ESB? Of course, he'd have to make sure the handguards were the appropriate style and that the helmet painting/decals matched whichever version he was going for. But if the piping/trim is not a problem, this could make life easier.

I would think this thread would be a good one for him to take a look at....

-----

He could sell the MR bucket and get an ATA, trim the ears thin and use ROJ decals/paint scheme. JMHO. Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Thanks. There was one thread in there that I had missed.

It seems he may be able to go the ANH route even with the Rubies armour but of course will be a log way off elite standard. But at the moment he's only concerned with reaching 501st base requirement. Looks like it's possible.

He could go the ANH route - nothing is impossible if you have the time and inclination. However as has been pointed out the path of least resistance is to just go ROTJ with it. I'd agree to sell the MRCE and just get an alternate helmet which he can get for about selling price of his MRCE (both ATA & AP offer lids at $120 or so).

A really well done ROTJ can look excellent (take a look at TK-J's EIB thread) so there is no reason to go ANH with that suit, unless he *really* prefers ANH (again, in which case he's best off just selling the Rubies and starting over).

Hi Paul,

For elite purposes I agree totally, the easiest/best path is ROTJ.

The really annoying thing about the Rubies though is that it's neither fish nor fowl. To go ROTJ, you still have to flip the ab buttons. What were they thinking of? They had what I regard a very good basis for ROTJ armour but then they put the buttons on back the ANH/ESB way. :blink:

The shortest route however for this guy may be to get the MR helmet up to scratch for ANH, paint his ab buttons blue and grey, do all the rest of the basic modifications and just live with the fact that his armour has piping.

I kind of felt bad telling him that although he had replaced that awful Rubies helmet, the best thing to do would be to get yet another new one! I just hope he didn't pay the 1000 euros that they were askign for the Rubies costume in the shops out here just before carnival! :o

Anyway, this guy made it work for 501st ANH base requirements it seems ...

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13

Though my advice would be to paint the frown black and wear the holster on the right to match the ESB shape of the hand guards. Much better.

*Requirements* for membership are entirely up to the GML at their discretion for canon costumes. You'll also note that in the above picture the boots are not 501st acceptable either.

However as we've been told time and again the CRL's are for *reference* only and is just one of many tools the GML uses in their work. Thus some garrisons are very strict to the CRL, others not much at all. While this costume was cleared in their garrison, I can say that it wouldn't have been in mine for instance.

Historically the TK costume has not been required to be movie specific, but as other costumes/detachments are insisting that their costumes be this way, there is no reason why FISD should lag behind. Thus you'll note in our CRLs that they are indeed movie specific as well.

I'm not trying to take anything away form the above member - they did a superb job on a difficult suit. However with perhaps 30 minutes of work (decals, frown paint) that helmet could have been done in ROTJ. And, if one was careful I bet they could flip the ab plate button too, or cut and replace with any other makers ab plate. Heck, back in the day cutting the ab plate was the only way to convert an FX to TD configuration.

With the advent of tkboots.com - he could easily go ROTJ EIB for probably $75 and an afternoon of work.

True enough - and replace the hand plates. However the side cuts on that chest are already deep. It would be probably cheaper just to get a new chest/back/shoulder straps from your favorite maker, as I'm afraid if you take the sides off that chest you'll expose way too much black.

So yeah, again it can be done but your investment in terms of $$ will be (crystal ball) probably $150 vs. $75, and a full day vs. an afternoon. I guess it's up to him - which is more important - upgrading on the cheap or going ANH.

On 5/27/2010 at 11:49 PM, Daetrin said:

*Requirements* for membership are entirely up to the GML at their discretion for canon costumes. You'll also note that in the above picture the boots are not 501st acceptable either.

However as we've been told time and again the CRL's are for *reference* only and is just one of many tools the GML uses in their work. Thus some garrisons are very strict to the CRL, others not much at all. While this costume was cleared in their garrison, I can say that it wouldn't have been in mine for instance.

Historically the TK costume has not been required to be movie specific, but as other costumes/detachments are insisting that their costumes be this way, there is no reason why FISD should lag behind. Thus you'll note in our CRLs that they are indeed movie specific as well.

I'm not trying to take anything away form the above member - they did a superb job on a difficult suit. However with perhaps 30 minutes of work (decals, frown paint) that helmet could have been done in ROTJ. And, if one was careful I bet they could flip the ab plate button too, or cut and replace with any other makers ab plate. Heck, back in the day cutting the ab plate was the only way to convert an FX to TD configuration.

With the advent of tkboots.com - he could easily go ROTJ EIB for probably $75 and an afternoon of work.

Very good points again, Paul. Of course my first piece of advice and the most important piece of advice I could give him was "Contact our GML". :D

I've seen pictures of his boots and they look good. They may even be TK boots. They're certainly no the Elvis boots! :lol:

I'll probably meet up with the guy soon and have a chat with him, see ho wmuch time/money he wants to invest. He has lots of options and I'll offer him as much practical help as he wants. He should be able to put together a decent suit in the end.

Here are some photos/videos of a recent unofficial troop. He's easy to spot (Rubies & MR):

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13