Blaster sound to Aker amp = possible?

I’m not a sound electronics expert, but would it be possible to do this:

Take any electronic sound device in a blaster that normally outputs to a speaker (eg: Hasbro, Blaster core, etc..) and instead of having the wiring go to the speaker, strip the wires and wire in a standard 1/8” stereo headphone cord and jack, so that the output could be sent to an amp (eg: Aker voice amp, since it has an “input” jack?)

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

On a practical note: wouldn't that be a burden to have your blaster tethered to you the whole time via the audio cord? I know I'll frequently let little kids hold my gun, or let an adult pose with it for a picture, I can only imagine I wouldn't be able to share it anymore if it were hooked up to me with a cord. Just thinking out loud...

Not if it's detachable (eg: connection at the wrist for a 1/'8" stereo jack). the cord would feed up through the arm and into my chest plate where the amp is. Or, I would wire the amp directly inside the blaster (note: I'm talking about a BFG, not an E-11) :)

yea this works. just hook the 1/8th inch jack wires directly to the speakers +/- terminals of the gun (do not remove or bypass the original speaker)and you should be good to go.

test at low volume first as gun output voltages can vary

i tested this with a 20 watt amp and toy blaster for a 20 watt dlt19 project im working on.

just remember all amps/guns are different so do this at your own risk :)

Edited by dashrazor

Thanks Dashrazor. Does polarity matter for hooking up stereo jacks? I know there's the "inner core" wire and the surrounding wire, does one need to be positive and one negative?

polarity can matter with some circuits but simply test by touching the 1/8 jack wires to the blaster speaker briefly when firing the blaster (you can use alligator clips) if there is no sound just reverse the wires

by genral rule the center wire is + and the outer is -

Edited by dashrazor

Panda I wired up exactly what you are talking about on Friday. I replaced the red and black speaker line from the voice changer below with a stereo 3.5mm male audio prong. I then plugged it into one of my aker voice amps for sound. It was super loud. I had to experiment with wire connections to make it work. I connected the Audio cable red to the speaker red and the speaker black to the audio yellow cable. then left the White audio cable un-attached.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIS3GS/ref=oss_product

Note, i also replaced the mic on this voice changer with 3.5mm female port. it works well now witha better mic but the VOX on the voice changer still bites....

On 3/23/2010 at 8:59 AM, pandatrooper said:

Good point! Need to see if I can squeeze my Memorex wireless transmitter into my BFG...

I am able to squeeze my Aker 1506 amp inside my T21. Then i have a Mp3 player playing a repeating blaster loop. I activate the sound with one of my PTT cables with the button routed to the outside trigger.

The memorex Wireless transmitter should fit inside a T21 easily. If you take out the innards you should be able to fit into even tighter spaces. What BFG are you trying to fit your sound into?

My T21 (I am sure you have seen it)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Thanks Jim! I've seen your T-21, both you and Woodchuck did a great job!

I'm building my T-21 for my T-21 tutorial, and making really good progress. There should be good room in there for blaster electronics, I might actually try and fit the small black amp (1506?) inside so that the amp will project sound out the front, then if I can fit the wireless in there too, and have it transmit sound to a second amp in my chest plate. I'll just use the wired mic going to the chest through the first or second input. That should work, correct?

If so, I'll be ordering a second amp from you. :)