HIPS vs ABS

Currently I am finishing up my ATA HIPS kit. Im pretty good at painting with spray paint but I cant get anywhere close to that coveted glossy look of the ABS. I wish I had gone with an ABS kit and could get that shine, paint just doesnt seem to come close, kinda frustrating. What does everyone think?

Edited by JD-89

I completed my ATA a few months ago. My main concern about painting was getting the helmet looking right. I picked up some polishing cloths from a hobby store. These are high grit clothes ranging from 3200 all the way up to 8000. These are awesome! Basically start with a low grit and work towards the higher grits. Finish off with some rubbing compound. I never knew I could spray paint a finish this smooth and glossy. Read this post--------

Also check out this website---------

I went with HIPS because it was the less expensive and readily available but if I could I'd get an ABS kit.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have a full ABS AP armor. I love it, with all it's flaws. :D

I wouldn't dare with a HIPS armor here in Spain, as we don't have as good paints as the ones in US (no Rustoleum or anything near.)

So I guess ABS is more practical for me. Just cut, glue and use. :)

While it's true that many people get ABS simply so they don't have to paint it, it's VERY possible to get a GREAT coat on HIPS! In fact, I've seen many paint jobs that make ABS look dull and flat!

Are you using Rust-Oleum paint and following all instructions — including humidity and temperature requirements?

If not, are you following the directions on whatever you're using?

Practice on some scrap pieces.

Be willing to sand it all off and do it again!

Also, for tutorials, you can check out TK-4510's TE2 Helmet Build starting at part 19 he shows how to paint.

You'll get there man! B)

Edited by gmrhodes13

Man thats a real toss up because HIPS comes off the molds looking so tight and pretty. My main complaint with HIPS is that the paint yellows faster than unpainted ABS. Back in the day my painted HIPS helmet matched my ABS armor very nicely. No so much these days. Now that my primary armor is on a mannequin, I'm leaning towards an all HIPS suit or an all ABS suit.

On 3/22/2010 at 10:46 PM, Smitty said:

Man thats a real toss up because HIPS comes off the molds looking so tight and pretty.

Yeah, we know there are plenty of great "which is better" threads on here... but it really comes down to personal preference.

I love the flexibility, sharpness, strength (only have experience with TE2) and ease of workability of the HIPS. Plus it's lightweight and just darn comfy! B)

Edited by gmrhodes13