RT-MOD Flat ears

Ok, my RT-MOD armor should be here next month.

I found an RT build thread and noticed the ears being flat. I'm curious as to how troopers have modded their ears. I'll need 4 bumps for ANH stunt.

Are there any other mods/drawbacks that I should be aware of? Just want to have all the materials for when the armor arrives. Or being making the bumps now.

The flat ear bumps are an RT Mod quirk, but it won't affect your 501st or EIB application.

Having said that, if anyone has any creative ideas on how to alter them without damaging the helmet, I'd interested as well. :)

Weird, I haven't seen that before. :blink: Pics?

Ya, when I ordered the armor, I wasn't aware of this. But, being glued to this forum for over a month, I've learned many things.

Here is Rob's site www.rt-mod.com click on Enter Site, Projects, Stormtrooper, My Helmet. I wonder if I should have him ship the helmet without decals. Then I can add the bumps myself and paint the ears...depending on how that goes, I may paint the vents, tear drops too. I was going to paint the teeth also.

Oh, if someone would give me some measurements of the bumps, rough estimates, I can figure out what materials I can use to make them. I grabbed some stuff from work to tinker with. I think the bumps will add some more accuracy to an already nice lid. I may intergrate a couple buttons in the bumps to work with my ROM/FX features...

Edited by SolderMaster

Your helmet might come with bumps on the ears. I just bought two helmets from him in November, and one had bumps and one didn't. I know he said he's made some changes to the helmet recently, so I assume the bumpier ears are newer, but I don't know for sure. I haven't talked to him since then.

After peeling off the stickers, I painted my non-bumpy ears and then used a pencil to draw "shadows" around where the bumps should be. Between that and painting one or two black "bumps," it won't be very noticeable if you get the non-bumpy ears.

Non-bumpy ear (before weathering the helmet) with original sticker applied ...

H3LKOfu.jpg

Non-bumpy ear with sticker removed, then painted and drawn on (you could do a better job painting the black than I did, I actually didn't have any time before a troop and drew it on with a Sharpie, I'll redo it later)...

fxvGHLo.jpg

On 2/27/2010 at 7:18 AM, JohnQPS122 said:

Your helmet might come with bumps on the ears. I just bought two helmets from him in November, and one had bumps and one didn't. I know he said he's made some changes to the helmet recently, so I assume the bumpier ears are newer, but I don't know for sure. I haven't talked to him since then.

After peeling off the stickers, I painted my non-bumpy ears and then used a pencil to draw "shadows" around where the bumps should be. Between that and painting one or two black "bumps," it won't be very noticeable if you get the non-bumpy ears.

Non-bumpy ear (before weathering the helmet) with original sticker applied ...

Non-bumpy ear with sticker removed, then painted and drawn on (you could do a better job painting the black than I did, I actually didn't have any time before a troop and drew it on with a Sharpie, I'll redo it later)...

Thanks for the heads up JohnQPS122, your shadowing makes the flat look nice! I just emailed Rob about it. I have a few ideas on how to make them if indeed the lid comes without bumps.