Original lenses, no eyes?

We all know the stunt troopers had thin green acetate in ANH/ESB. Judging by pics it seems quite see through.

Im wondering why we dont see the eyes through the lenses. We see Vaders in his TIE. Theres pics showing TIE pilot eyes also. But to my knowledge theres no trooper eyes showing. Is the material darker than it appears on the pics or what? B)

The reason one sees Vader and Tie-trooper's eye is because of the lightning conditions. In the cockpit-set of a tie fighter they used colored (red) filters on the studio lights, thus, the lenses became 'clear'. I am sure the same effect would have been visible if the stormtroopers were shot with green lightning.

and from what i know only the hero helmets had a dark lens just for that, the stunts rerally didnt get any good close ups for that to happen.

Yeah I agree on the close ups. The TIE-pilots used green (and grey?) hero lenses though. Perhaps the dark TIE weenie pits and black suits made the film crew use alot of light, making us see through the lenses.

Heres a pic of a grey lensed TIE Pilot (from starwarshelmets).

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Hi

The TIE's had grey coloured lenses, not green.

I think there's a photo of a TIE from Christies on my site with lenses that appear green, but I believe it a white balance issue as I had a similar problem when photographing under the strip lighting at Christies in Kensington.

As far as the stormtroopers are concerned, they're typically filmed either on location in strong sunlight - or on the set in similarly bright conditions. Hence the darker helmet interiors (helped by the actors wearing black balaclavas) would have make it more difficult to see the actors eyes.

Cheers

Jez