AP Armor Questions - Assembly / Glue

Milti

Hi all!

I have been trying to search around but decided to ask the masters to get some up front answers :D

1) Is there a guide to show where to velco / how to attach the velcro to the armor? I just want to make sure i am putting velcro where it should be. Do you use the sticky back of the industrial strength velro? or glue it w/ E6000? It seems that you glue on side of the armor then velcro the other on the pieces.

2) Do you attach the back and front top piece together? If so with Rivets? Is there a guide to show where to rivet or attach out there? Ive seen some with gaps others who attached the two together

Sorry for the newb questions, I have pretty much all of the armor cut, just ready to start to glue and attach the velcro/fit the armor

Thanks!

Seth

I would recomend to use a snap system instead of Velcro.

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html

you might need to use a tiny bit of Velcro for attaching the back and front peice together. I have two Velcro strips on the sides that reach out to each peice just so it dosnt flap up or anything.

There's also a post around here that shows some really great snap systems just can't remember where it is.

The rule of thumb is "Glue where you can, velcro where you must." Personally, the only place I use velcro is at the back of the calves. Everything else (thighs, forearms, biceps) is completely glued together and I simply slip those on. E6000 is the preferred adhesive around here, but it does take a long time (up to 24 hours) to fully cure. I've also used ABS cement with no problems, it can be messier but takes less time (a few hours) to cure.

For your strapping system, snaps are better than velcro. They are less bulky, more secure, last longer, and don't make a crunching sound when you move around.

If/when you do use velcro, definitely go with the industrial-strength variety.

If by "attach the back and front top piece together" you mean at the ribbed shoulder straps, then the screen-accurate method is to glue the ribbed straps at the front but let them float free at the back. The front/back are actually held together by a piece of fabric, that is what carries the load. I have both the front and back glued, but that's just me. Do not use rivets, they are highy inaccurate - and plain unsightly IMO.

There are build threads here for every type of armor with text, photos, and video, including AP. Spend some time reviewing the applicable threads, you won't go wrong and you'll avoid potentially costly mistakes.

:)

Hey Seth, I posted similar question a while back. the torso assembly and rivets for screen accurate look can get confusing, here's the thread on the subject. The pictures and diagrams posted were immensely helpful.

-----

Also, Stukatroopers Flickr page is a great resource.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

pandatrooper said:
Hey Seth, I posted similar question a while back. the torso assembly and rivets for screen accurate look can get confusing, here's the thread on the subject. The pictures and diagrams posted were immensely helpful.

-----

Also, Stukatroopers Flickr page is a great resource.

-----

Awesome!

Thanks all for the responses! I really really appreciate it

One more question :) (for now)

With the AP armor, it seems that there is no need for the strips on the shin and thigh armor, there is an overlap for the armor and it appears that there is a strip already when the armor "folds" together. Am I doing it right? or should I trim the pieces and simply cut a strip of plastic and glue it over the armor pieces.

Thanks in advance,

seth

People do both but I believe for screen accuracy those suits used the strips. I'm just finishing up mine with strips. Didn't really ever think about how many strips there are. 2 on each arm and leg piece. Thats 16 strips! No wonder it seems like I've been cutting and sanding strips forever! <_<

One more question :) (for now)

With the AP armor, it seems that there is no need for the strips on the shin and thigh armor, there is an overlap for the armor and it appears that there is a strip already when the armor "folds" together. Am I doing it right? or should I trim the pieces and simply cut a strip of plastic and glue it over the armor pieces.

Thanks in advance,

seth

I lined them up and made peices to go over the seems, looks more detailed imo.

Here are a couple of pics for my shin and thigh armor. I am going to trim the tops, but do you think that I should simply glue a strip on top of the current ridge? Is the stip neccessary to get 501ST Approved?

Thanks all!

Seth

vHXVXRM.jpgA8zsDLY.jpg