Painting question

Sgt JB

If anyone knows this, I'd appreciate it. I stripped, and repainted my lid, as it wasn't even close in shine to the rest of the paint jobs I did on the armor. However, the back didn't come out as good as the front. I don't want to strip it again, as it's really a pain. So I'm wondering of anyone has painted over Rustoleum Professional High Performance after it's dried. Can I sand it down a little, and just treat it like I'm starting over? or will I mess it up? I'm going to mask off the front to prevent over spray getting on the good parts, but I'd like to get opinions. Thx all.

When I have paint issues I usually wet sand that area with 200,400 and 600. Sometimes just 400,600. Make sure it is clean before you spray again. I had to do this with my blaster. Hope this helps!

Hey bro! read this thread. a lot of info and i guess you guys have the same dilemma of getting a flat finish. :)

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

LUIS TK-2155 said:
Hey bro! read this thread. a lot of info and i guess you guys have the same dilemma of getting a flat finish. :)

-----

good thread. I wasn't having so much an issue with shine, more that the back didn't have the 'wet' look that the front did, it was a little rough. think I'm going to sand it down, mask off the front, and redo the back.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Hmm that is a tough one. My concern with masking off the front is that no matter what, there will be a line from the two different coatings. I guess you can try it and see how it comes out, it might be subtle enough that nobody but you will notice. I guess if not, you can just always do it again.

Good luck on it.

Hmm that is a tough one. My concern with masking off the front is that no matter what, there will be a line from the two different coatings. I guess you can try it and see how it comes out, it might be subtle enough that nobody but you will notice. I guess if not, you can just always do it again.

Good luck on it.

moot point, I decided that it's good enough as is. I'm being a perfectionist with wanting to repaint. it's only a small spot by the left ear in the back. I'm just going to buff it a bit with some rubbing compound and it'ss make it a little shinier. Rest looks awesome.

Just remember to let your paint job cure before sanding and repainting (rustoleum takes about 2 weeks to fully cure) If you don't you can expect your new paintjob to wrinkle up.