AP opinions on trim and gluing forearms, shins and thighs

I have made my rough cut on my AP armor. Next step is to sand and do more touch up trimming. I have some questions on trim strips and gluing both ends of the pieces.

1. Do I need to put the ANH trim strips on both of the front and back of the thighs and shins or only on the front?

2. Is it better to "glue\abs weld"on one side of the forearms, thighs and shins and Industrial Strength velcro on the other side? Or is it better to "glue\abs weld" both sides together. What I am getting at is over time does opening and closing the velcro weaken the glue side?

3. I am about 5.4 or 5.5 feet tall. Do I need to trim the thighs before gluing or can I make adjustments later?

Thanks.

Andy

I have made my rough cut on my AP armor. Next step is to sand and do more touch up trimming. I have some questions on trim strips and gluing both ends of the pieces.

1. Do I need to put the ANH trim strips on both of the front and back of the thighs and shins or only on the front?

2. Is it better to "glue\abs weld"on one side of the forearms, thighs and shins and Industrial Strength velcro on the other side? Or is it better to "glue\abs weld" both sides together. What I am getting at is over time does opening and closing the velcro weaken the glue side?

3. I am about 5.4 or 5.5 feet tall. Do I need to trim the thighs before gluing or can I make adjustments later?

Thanks.

Andy

1.- yes front and back strip are requiered

2.- it varies some ppl glue or weld one side and velcro the other, personally i could squeeze my gloved hands through the forearms minus the hand plate ,so i glued both sides, as for the legs i tried to see if i could do the same with the legs and stick my foot through the opening, it could be done but somewhat troublesome so i opted to glue the from and velcro the back

3.- u and glue first and trim later, but i think it would be better to trim first and glue later.

great questions, but there really isnt a correct way its moslty what works for u......

One great example is the forearms a friend Noel (cow trooper) used small rivets for the fore arms that were later covered by the strips so u cant see them and the forearmes will never open, making it super rigide !!!! if i can find the smallest riviet i will try this, i liked the idea!!!!! might work with the legs two......

Wait are see what other think about your questions and what they suggest, them see what sounds right for u. and dont forget to start a Work in Progress thread about your armor!!!!!! Post pics we luv pictures!!!!!

TK-2126_MD said:
1.- yes front and back strip are requiered

2.- it varies some ppl glue or weld one side and velcro the other, personally i could squeeze my gloved hands through the forearms minus the hand plate ,so i glued both sides, as for the legs i tried to see if i could do the same with the legs and stick my foot through the opening, it could be done but somewhat troublesome so i opted to glue the from and velcro the back

3.- u and glue first and trim later, but i think it would be better to trim first and glue later.

great questions, but there really isnt a correct way its moslty what works for u......

One great example is the forearms a friend Noel (cow trooper) used small rivets for the fore arms that were later covered by the strips so u cant see them and the forearmes will never open, making it super rigide !!!! if i can find the smallest riviet i will try this, i liked the idea!!!!! might work with the legs two......

Wait are see what other think about your questions and what they suggest, them see what sounds right for u. and dont forget to start a Work in Progress thread about your armor!!!!!! Post pics we luv pictures!!!!!

Here is a link to my build.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Regarding the shins, you can get away with ANH strips on the front, as normally for the back of the shins one uses velcro... otherwise, how on earth will you get them on? You can, if you so desire glue one strip on the back of the shins to only one half of the shins and then use velcro to attach to the other half of the shin to that strip.....personally, just use velcro for the back of the shins... easy, effective and well that what 99.9% of troopers probably do.....