Bought an ATA helmet, need some advice

So I took the plunge and ordered an ATA helmet, now I have questions lol. When it comes to the paint job, is it spray paint only or can it be done by hand? and which way is better, assemble then paint or the other way around? Do most people use hobby knives to do the cutting or would it be worth investing in a Dremel tool? theres so much info and options on here its overwhelming lol

krudler said:
So I took the plunge and ordered an ATA helmet, now I have questions lol. When it comes to the paint job, is it spray paint only or can it be done by hand? and which way is better, assemble then paint or the other way around? Do most people use hobby knives to do the cutting or would it be worth investing in a Dremel tool? theres so much info and options on here its overwhelming lol

this is the tutorial I'm using for my ATA bucket.

-----

as far as paint goes, ----- check that out.

I'm going with something different with my helm, I'm going to be using wet 'n dry sanding then polishing it. It'll have more of a dull look to it since mine is going to be a sand trooper.

this thread talks about the different supplies you'll need.

-----

hope this helps and have fun!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

krudler said:

Put it together, then paint.

I don't know of anyone that has done it by hand paint - I used spray paint. The Rustoleum High gloss worked WELL!

I used both the exacto knife AND a little bit of dremel, although I think you could do most (all?) of the ATA with the knife.... it is fairly thin and easy to work with.

Then again, who doesn't have a need for a dremel once in a while - you know you want one!

I agree - use the above videos for guidance. They are spot on, extremely helpful, done by what seems to be regarded as the best armor builder/assembler/painter around. Plus you can buy his decals for your ATA lid too.

-----

good luck, have fun, take pictures (and post them).

Derek

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Curved lexan scissors work well to trim sides and neck area. If you don't use a dremmel you will need small hobby files to smooth the teeth and eye socket. There are a lot of ATA buckets being built right now, we are all in this together!

Good luck