Helmet Clear Coat Help!

ok so my wife had me build and paint her ata bucket.

i primed it with rustolem proffesional grey primer, then painted with rustoleum flourescent pink paint... (yeah i know... pink)

well apparently i didnt hold the can close enough because i got weird dry powdery stuff on it... so i'm going to paint it some more and try and get an even coat...

my main question is what should i use to get a deep clear coat?

i have rustoleum crystal clear enamel... will that work???

You must be spraying too far from the helmet. it seems the paint is drying before you hit the surface.(like you said) :) try bringing the can closer but spray left to right to avoid pooling. It looks great btw. the color is awesome ;)

Also, after you have painted it,since the color cannot get as glossy as you want it to be, i suggest painting it again a clear gloss coat after. then you'll get the shine that you're looking for.

You must be spraying too far from the helmet. it seems the paint is drying before you hit the surface

thats what smitty said too... so i guess i'll get another can and try again

i think either chrome or mirroed pink or mirroed rainbow like TIE pilots... i'm gonna go online to a motorcycle helmet face shield website and let the wife pick... believe me i'll post pics lol

still not done painting need to sand then paint and wet sand then clear coat... i just wanted to test fit trim and padding

59RBrzG.jpg

qGFFfEh.jpg

BvleDRS.jpg

it looks orange in this light... weird...

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

what color are you going to paint the frown, traps , tube stripes etc? Are you going to use decals? or just paint them all?

------------he makes some red ones?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Aaron,

I am finishing a new helmet (white not pink) and I am going to use poly acrylic gloss spray by miniwax. I have used it on other white items (binders, amp, comlink) and it works great. No yellowing either. The poly acrylic really protects the finish from scraps and nicks. I have used it for years on my boys pinewood derby cars. They always had the best paint job and the never lost except to each other.

Btw, I have one of your neck seals and I love it!

awesome thanks... poly acrylic gloss by minwax... i'll check it out... is it in a rattle can or no?

i'll get some more pink coats on the bucket then get it sanded and prepped and get a hold of some of that...