HOWTO: increase the volume of mic tip speakers

Hi troopers, in the struggle of squeezing my ROM/FX and micro speakers for maximum volume I found out that what is missing is a resonant chamber to pump it up. You can try with yours: close partially the mic tip opening with your finger and you hear the bump in volume.

What I did is cut a small strip of thin clear acrylic and install it just behind the speaker grill, like this:

3643502690_4ee2e8b3dd_o.jpg

This creates a small resonance chamber and the side gaps let the sound out. This increases some frequencies and focuses the sound on mids, making the voice more "annoying", but definitely more intelligible and loud.

Since the strip is clear, once installed it's almost invisible, here's the result:

3644257738_1e647686c6_o.jpg

Try different sizes until you find the best frequency and volume bump.

I suggest these speakers paired with Stomper Hovies for best results.

;)

• 2 months later...

Great idea!!!!!

One other tip that makes a big difference is having the speaker be as back as u can get them in side the hovis, this makes the sound be linear and projected un one direction Vs haveing the speaker really close to the screen and sound goes every were.

Great idea Pablo!!!!

Thanks Joey!

Another important thing is to make the small space behind the speaker airtight, as explained also by Launchpad:

"The speaker must be installed in the aerator or equivalent sound casing (enclosure) for the maximum acoustic level to be produced, in other words volume.

Example: Cup the speaker in your hand and notice the increase in volume. All speakers have this effect. The more air tight behind the speaker, the louder the volume will become. With some experimenting, the right size enclosure will maximize the level of sound produced. There must be some sort of small area behind the speaker, like a home speaker has a speaker box."

Also Launchpad now has some new speakers which are even more powerful than the previous ones!