reducing feedback

I have a speker,amp, mic set from trik toys. nothing special just the basic setup. when i place the speakers on my chest plate i can only raise the volume to a certain level then i get feedback. everything is fine till i place my helmet.. i get a low pitched noise wich makes me lower the volume again, but this time it's just so low that i don't hink anyone would hear me if it's at a convention with lots of people.

Currently i placed the speaker setup on my back plate which is better, i get a louder volume with less feedback.

does anyone have the same problem when the speakers at at the front?

Padding the speaker from behind helps.

Also, cheap mics are omni directional.. That means it pics up sound from all over. Unidirectional mics are more expensive, but can only pic up sound in one direction.

Another thing that u might want to look into is see if u have your mic over and infront of the speaker, when u have your helmet on. if your mic is in front of your speaker u get feed back regardless of the type.

As for padding ????? can help u there, i am in the same place u are???? no idea. some ppl have used foam padding, or have actually en cased the speaker, and filled the space with that faom spray for electrical insulation.ç

Good luck!!!

i know my mic is in on top of the speaker coz i have a headset mic and my speakers are in my chest plate.. that's why i placed the speaker on my back..less feedback..

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem basically with very unnerving high pitched feedback. I have a speaker that I was planning to place behind the chest plate and a small microphone inside the helmet just centered right above the painted black vocoder. So I guess the mic isn't necessarily in front of the speaker but I still get feedback that'll make you cringe.

I guess it's the distance between mic and speaker, and that's my problem: I don't have anywhere else to put my speaker (it's powered by 6 mignon (AA) batteries, they have to go somewhere too...it takes up quite some room) that would put more distance between mic and speaker. Any ideas? I don't want to resort to mounting it on my belt externally, but there I could crank the volume up and still have no feedback. Ideal position on my waist....dang.

I've bought it as all in one plastic cover case (batteries and chip and speaker) and don't want to tear it apart and rewire it.

Right now I carry it in my holster. ;) But where to put the blaster then...? Ah, problems...

I have 2 x 40mm mylar speakers in my lid with the ROM/FX so feedback was a huge problem for me.

Used to use thin deodorant caps with a shed load of 'blu-tak' (stuff here in the UK that stick posters to walls)... worked a treat, but made the bucket fairly heavy.

I now use some homemade vacformed caps that are fairly thick (3mm) and a thin slice of the blu-tak... works even better now, and half the weight.

You can also use sound deadening material found at all good car audio installers.