HOW TO REQUEST: Radio Shack Amp resistor mod

Hi all.

Comm system mod.

Does anyone know about the Radio Shack amp wiring / resistor modification to power the input socket? I've experimented with adding a AAA battery onto my Mic feed which does work. A bit noisy though. I also saw a comment about a resistor mod.

I'm currently using a powered Mic which is no problem apart from an extra battery and an extra box. This is a good solution in that the mic signal is very clean. I would prefer to dispense with the extra box and battery and use a passive Lavalier mic.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Rees.

air-ship said:
Hi all.

Comm system mod.

Does anyone know about the Radio Shack amp wiring / resistor modification to power the input socket? I've experimented with adding a AAA battery onto my Mic feed which does work. A bit noisy though. I also saw a comment about a resistor mod.

I'm currently using a powered Mic which is no problem apart from an extra battery and an extra box. This is a good solution in that the mic signal is very clean. I would prefer to dispense with the extra box and battery and use a passive Lavalier mic.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Rees.

If anyone is interested in this topic, I now have the pictures of the modification courtesy of TK4205:

--------

---------

I'm going to try this without a resistor. I'll check the voltage being fed to the input jack. I suspect it may be too high but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks to SuperTrooper for getting me on the right track with this topic.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

you should always use a resistor. I don't know about this specific mod show above, but make sure you are actually getting the 1.5 volts you need. I think most power mics require that much. I've seen some mods on the boards which are actually wrong and do not provide almost any voltage. Alas I don't recall which ones are wrong and which ones are right. FYI the power must be applied to the TIP of the input plug. You could just run the volt line directly from the input pad of the battery to the jack's tip line (using a resistor of course).

This mod is somewere in there....???

This mod is "Wyatts" it is awesome, after i used it i had no need to use a Powered mic!!!!!!! on my sound board!!!!!!! very cool

you should always use a resistor. I don't know about this specific mod show above, but make sure you are actually getting the 1.5 volts you need. I think most power mics require that much. I've seen some mods on the boards which are actually wrong and do not provide almost any voltage. Alas I don't recall which ones are wrong and which ones are right. FYI the power must be applied to the TIP of the input plug. You could just run the volt line directly from the input pad of the battery to the jack's tip line (using a resistor of course).

I tried it with a wire directly from the tip of the input jack to most of the capacitors on the circuit board. They vary in volume and they all seem to defeat the volume control. I'll get hold of a some resistors and try that. However, back with my old solution of a powered mic seems much better. More stuff in your bucket but it does work well.

I did try a 1.5 AAA battery on a mic and this seemed to work. A bit noisy though. I don't think matters to most TK's though. I'm going to give this another whirl with a AAA battery holder and a capacitor to clean things up.

I'm also experimenting with 20mm and 40mm Mylar speakers to get the best possible output. I may also run an amp in the bucket with 20mm Hovi tips and drop a lead down to another amp in the chest plate. That way I get sound from the lid and boosted volume from the chest. I'm thinking of creating a magnetic jack / connector so I can just whip my lid off and the connection will come away easily. I know it can be done with FM wireless stuff but this poses a problem with frequencies if a lot of TK's are using them.

I welcome any thoughts on this subject. I personally enjoy tinkering with electronics (although my knowledge is basic).

Rees :D