Has anyone seen any large SW Ship? TIE's? SSD?

Knighthawk

I've seen an X-Wing and a Landspeeder here in Colorado that are just amazing, particularly the X-Wing.

It's often on display at an aviation museum here, "Wings Over The Rockies"-- it's soopa-bad.

There was a gaming convention in New York City back in '95 or so that had a Star Wars starfighter miniature battle -- Rebels vs. Empire. The centrepiece was a homemade six-foot long Star Destroyer that looked dead-on. I found myself wishing for a SSD to scale. :D

--Jonah

• 4 weeks later...
There was a gaming convention in New York City back in '95 or so that had a Star Wars starfighter miniature battle -- Rebels vs. Empire. The centrepiece was a homemade six-foot long Star Destroyer that looked dead-on. I found myself wishing for a SSD to scale. :D

--Jonah

I've been daydreaming about building a large scale Star Destroyer. LOL

here's my thoughts...... I've located a model Star Destroyer at a local hobby shop. Use the model assembly instructions for reconstructing larger pieces for a much larger scale model. Convert the measurements from 1 inch =1 foot. a 1ft long assembled model would equal a 12 foot long Star Destroyer. Build the pieces with thin plywood or something lighter. Use something light for the frame.

Here's the crazy part.lol

Too get it to hover for a parade or event, insert a large bag when building it, and inflate it with helium or another light gas to get it to float 5 -6 foot. I wonder though, how heavy would it need to be to prevent it from floating away? It needs to be light enough to control. Would it even work?

I got to much time on my hand driving a truck.lol :D

I've been daydreaming about building a large scale Star Destroyer. LOL

here's my thoughts...... I've located a model Star Destroyer at a local hobby shop. Use the model assembly instructions for reconstructing larger pieces for a much larger scale model. Convert the measurements from 1 inch =1 foot. a 1ft long assembled model would equal a 12 foot long Star Destroyer. Build the pieces with thin plywood or something lighter. Use something light for the frame.

Here's the crazy part.lol

Too get it to hover for a parade or event, insert a large bag when building it, and inflate it with helium or another light gas to get it to float 5 -6 foot. I wonder though, how heavy would it need to be to prevent it from floating away? It needs to be light enough to control. Would it even work?

I got to much time on my hand driving a truck.lol :D

I really doubt helium would work. Helium actually has very little lifting power in relationship to weight. If you've ever seen the Mythbusters where they used helium balloons to lift a person you will see how much helium it takes to lift something. Unless you got the thing built in at under about 8 or 10 pounds I don't think it would work.... But a 12 ft Star Destroyer would look really cool.

Well, if you wanted to make it float, think of making it like a hovercraft, you'll just need to think of a way of hiding the propellers and skirt, but the props could be towards the back where the main drive engines are, and you can do duct work to get the air intake to them, but then you need a way to fill the skirt with air so it has a cushion to float on.

Don't ask me why I've thought through that.

• 2 weeks later...
I really doubt helium would work. Helium actually has very little lifting power in relationship to weight. If you've ever seen the Mythbusters where they used helium balloons to lift a person you will see how much helium it takes to lift something. Unless you got the thing built in at under about 8 or 10 pounds I don't think it would work.... But a 12 ft Star Destroyer would look really cool.

You may be correct about the helium.

I was thinking of using a lightweight material such as thin wall paneling ( like in a trailer) for the skin, and use heavier material on the bottom to prevent it from flipping over. then use different size bags on the interior too keep it horizontal when inflated. The shield generators could be helium filled soccer balls. If anyone else has any ideas on this, please respond. Plus, if someone wants to run with this idea.... your welcome to it.

Hopefuly in the future, I will find the time too try to build this. But currently, I'm focusing on my stormtrooper outfit and prepping my car for the upcoming car show season.

• 4 months later...

Balsa wood, Cheap, heavy wieght in the feather wieghts, & very easy to work with.