HOWTO: Make clips for a hardhat liner

TK4205

I wanted to install an industrial hard hat liner in my bucket, but could not find the clips to do so. I had planned on cutting the clips out of the hard hat, but soon learned that nothing will adhere to hard hat plastic. So I came up with a way to make clips quick and easy with scraps of styrene.

yRmCZgk.jpg

An industrial hardhat liner can be found at Home Depot for about $12.00

x1mAEuD.jpg

Two pieces of scrap styrene aproximately 4x8 inches, riveted at one end with a square hole 1-1/8 x 1-7/16 inches

aiW8Qul.jpg

The square form is built up from 3 pieces of styrene With two notches cut out on both sides. The 'square' is one and a half by five sixteenths (inches) All the liners I have found seem to come standard, fitting the same sized clip.

Note; The notches are cut on the longer 1-1/2 inch side

h42KiE1.jpg

Toss a scrap of styrene in the oven set at 275 degrees.

1zZ6HZd.jpg

Once your plastic is soft you need to work quick. stick it in your gadget and press hard.

kNEBImc.jpg

Make sure to press down the notches to get a good deep impression.

uRkXdEn.jpg

continue to press while you let cool.

Pngr5Qe.jpg

Score and snap it in half. This will give you two clips.

gCoyshZ.jpg

hiErrwo.jpg

iIGrbm9.jpg

The notches allow your liner to snap in and out.

BI7UY9Q.jpg

Score a 3/4 inch slot and snap it out with pliars

2uN7qG4.jpg

qvpdZWd.jpg

MLYefWz.jpg

you're right about the hard hat liner plastic not liking glue. even the old E6000 doesn't do it. that method is pure genius. i love it. it has inspired me to bodge together some kind of mini vac table as there are quite a few things this method could be applied too.

thanks for the inspiration mate.

:D

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

New builder here, where do you find sheets of material to use as scrap? I assume this will glue up to an ABS lid with no problems?

I am starting the build on my first helmet, but have worn hard hats before and know how comfortable they are, especially in south Georgia. I imagine it gets hot in a TK bucket, so anything to allow for air circulation around my head is going to be a god-send.

• 5 years later...