After sanding to paint

Rivera88

OK so am on the sanding part about to spray paint... I got the white and the clear but !!! 

Am still kinda shaky about these step do I have to wet sand to make it as the same white color as the armor.. just hoping I do get it and if any help tips of how to I would really appreciate 

Before top coating I normally light dry sand the primer with 600 grit and wipe down with a tack cloth (available at paint/ auto stores), others use finer sandpaper but this works fine for my use.

Really depends on what paint you are using also, I prefer automotive acrylic paint as it is very quick to dry so multiple coats go on quite quickly, and you can go a little heavier, with other enamel based paints you have to dry completely before adding other coats. Another plus with automotive acrylic paint is you can sand and buff in case you get any drips or imperfections.

Double check the directions on the can before you do anything, make sure you take not of drying times between coats. 

There are so many different ways to prep and paint, I'd suggest heading to youtube and checking out some videos.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

I can’t echo enough the need to doublecheck the instructions on paints. I have done a number of methods as I’ve learned to do a Din Djarin beskar and it’s always frustrating.

Here’s my knowledge and it depends on the paint process too.

If you are using rattle cans, understand those are more prone to orange peeling, but first, make sure the environment is warm (check paint instructions) and the less humid the better.

If you plan to do a 2k urethane clear coat on top (which I highly recommend for durability and shine) You could do a gloss white or even a matte white as the clear coat will shine it all up. I prefer matte when using urethane because it has less additives to make it less likely to orange peel. The best way is to do light layer coats over the surface more times. At first it won’t look well covered but over time 5-6 coats you’ll see that it covers completely, light coats are less likely to run and drip too. Give yourself 10 or so minutes between coats (again depends on paint instructions)

After you’ve got the coverage you want let the paint sit for 72 hours or more (depends on paint) because it will need to cure and part of that process is all the chemicals drying out of the paint like bubbles coming up to the surface if you clear coat at the wrong time this curing can cause orange peeling in the clear coat.

When doing clear coat 2k from a rattle can I recommend Spray Max glamour gloss. Definitely read the instructions on these cans as they are very particular, but I’d give it 2-3 layers of light coverage and then 1-2 layers of slightly more coverage. Again let sit for 72+ hours to cure. At this point you should be okay to go, however if you want to achieve a higher level of smooth shine you can go on to buff and polish like you would a car finish.

If using an hvlp or lvl sprayer for your paint just pay attention to the instructions on the paints you use in detail. The biggest things are the psi to spray at and the coverage of paint. Usually I recommend testing on a similar surface (there are usually some model car plastic test pieces you can get really cheap in bulks) to see how your paint is going to look on your armor.

This method has less overall chemicals so it tends to go on with less orange peel, but it still can happen, so similar processes as above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1