Recommended printing positions for Nicos TK helmet

DaddyMan

I'm getting ready now to print some bigger pieces of Nicos helmet and I've found that there not many "good" positions to orientate the helmet to save plastic and that. Does anyone who's printed the helmet have any printing recommendations for the different pieces? Thanks in advance

Gabriel,
Nico's helmet is a treat, but saving plastic really isn't an option with it. :lol: However, there are a few tricks you can use to minimize supports and things like that. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures of the helmet on the bed, but I'll share with you what I have. All supports are set at 4mm with 60 degree overhang.

Chin: Supports around the perimeter and under the hovi mic recesses.
BxTGxgl.jpg

Ears: Supports under the bottom with a raft (raft not pictured). These almost seemed to defy gravity, but I printed it low and slow so there wasn't any shifting.

5rpJfb1.jpg

Face: Plenty of supports needed no matter how you situate it. I printed the face twice in different orientations and this is what worked best:

GGlZ5Ul.jpg

Here's the other way I tried. It used less supports, but was more prone to bad layers:

jvFmCFM.jpg

Rear Dome. This printed the best out of everything:
H9HzcJ1.jpg

Dome. Support the perimeter because it's angled, but no supports necessary under the dome:

pFweytg.jpg

Here's the chin post print. Since I used Carbon Fiber PLA, it was very easy to sand and not susceptible to heat warping:

oRBPeGL.jpg

Here's the chin after sanding and one layer of SEM Filler Primer. No spot and glaze putty or anything else necessary.

r2rfpa7.jpg

r2rfpa7.jpg

Rear Dome. Remember how I said this printed the best? Here's the result on the bed:
FLmDXm2.jpg

Very smooth.

As I stated, the face was the most difficult part. Plus, I started to get some stringing that I think was actually due to my nozzle getting worn out. CF Filament is great, but you have to change brass nozzles frequently. I primarily use hardened steel or stainless now.

qTqZ1DE.jpg

But in the end, the face sanded smooth:

3uHwP9o.jpg

VVYhVCW.jpg

Hope this helps

6 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

Gabriel,
Nico's helmet is a treat, but saving plastic really isn't an option with it. :lol: However, there are a few tricks you can use to minimize supports and things like that. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures of the helmet on the bed, but I'll share with you what I have. All supports are set at 4mm with 60 degree overhang.

Chin: Supports around the perimeter and under the hovi mic recesses.
BxTGxgl.jpg

Ears: Supports under the bottom with a raft (raft not pictured). These almost seemed to defy gravity, but I printed it low and slow so there wasn't any shifting.

5rpJfb1.jpg

Face: Plenty of supports needed no matter how you situate it. I printed the face twice in different orientations and this is what worked best:

GGlZ5Ul.jpg

Here's the other way I tried. It used less supports, but was more prone to bad layers:

jvFmCFM.jpg

Rear Dome. This printed the best out of everything:
H9HzcJ1.jpg

Dome. Support the perimeter because it's angled, but no supports necessary under the dome:

pFweytg.jpg

Here's the chin post print. Since I used Carbon Fiber PLA, it was very easy to sand and not susceptible to heat warping:

oRBPeGL.jpg

Here's the chin after sanding and one layer of SEM Filler Primer. No spot and glaze putty or anything else necessary.

r2rfpa7.jpg

r2rfpa7.jpg

Rear Dome. Remember how I said this printed the best? Here's the result on the bed:
FLmDXm2.jpg

Very smooth.

As I stated, the face was the most difficult part. Plus, I started to get some stringing that I think was actually due to my nozzle getting worn out. CF Filament is great, but you have to change brass nozzles frequently. I primarily use hardened steel or stainless now.

qTqZ1DE.jpg

But in the end, the face sanded smooth:

3uHwP9o.jpg

VVYhVCW.jpg

Hope this helps

Thank you very much!