Rogue One TK / Remnant Stormtrooper Hand Guards

Sweatshop

I've got a 850ArmorWorks R1TK set that I'm working on and I've seen a couple possible upgrades, one being rubber shoulder straps, and second being resin hand guards or potentially a styrene pattern. 11B30B4 has both on WhiteArmor but I had two problems, there is an inaccuracy on his straps, and I'm not sure he still offers them, and there is an error in his .stl for hand guards. With these roadblocks I fired up Fusion360 and got to work.

As far as handguard progress goes, I started out by gathering as much reference on WhiteArmor as available that shows flatter profile shots of the hand guards from what I'd call top, thumb, and front profiles. I collected photos from R1, Mando and Kenobi, pretty much every tk post Disney acquisition. Here is reference folder so people can see, but if anyone has clearer, flatter views, please put them here and It will allow me to improve upon my files. 
Photo Reference Folder

Here is my methodology thus far for how I'm trying to get an orthographic view of the planes I need to be able to throw together a 3d print model.
I take my photos, scale and line them up along the edge of the thumb line
Screenshot 2023-03-21 001828.jpg

Then I start making outline shapes
Screenshot 2023-03-21 001859.jpg

Do that a lot of times and then you see the pattern forming
Screenshot 2023-03-21 001930.jpg

I delete the outliers and take the widest shapes and start taking corners and averaging them in illustrator. Then do this with other important profiles.

Thumb
Screenshot 2023-03-21 002042.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-21 002110.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-21 002154.jpg

Front
Screenshot 2023-03-21 002238.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-21 002306.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-21 002342.jpg

I arrived with this as the shape, but I've removed curves. The thumb has the flat average, which is wider, and the angled perspective view so I could have something to aim for when angling in the 3d model.
Screenshot 2023-03-21 011024.jpg

And after working in Fusion360 this is where I am at.
HandGuardsTK v5.gif

Screenshot 2023-03-21 001415.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-21 001443.jpg

Please critique with photo reference and let me know how I can improve these files.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 3:17 AM, Sweatshop said:

there is an inaccuracy on his straps

What's the inaccuracy? I'm planning to cast my own rubber straps using a very similar method to his and was unaware of inaccuracy. The CRL doesn't mention anything aside from being inserted into the slots.

Also, lovely hand armor model! That looks great.

2 hours ago, revlimiter said:

What's the inaccuracy? I'm planning to cast my own rubber straps using a very similar method to his and was unaware of inaccuracy. The CRL doesn't mention anything aside from being inserted into the slots.

Also, lovely hand armor model! That looks great.

I plan on doing a run once I have a successful cast. I’m resin printing my mold but I it came out warped so I need to get an accurate print and then sand and prep it to make sure the castings come out glossy. As far as accuracy I’d just say look at the gallery photos for R1 and remnant screen used armor and count the ribs. Most straps I’ve seen have far too many ribs. I’ve done a similar process to determine accurate dimensions for straps as I did for these handguards. You could wait for my run, but if you end up making your own, please put your research here because I’d like to see if we come to the same conclusion design wise.