Armor Vendor Selection

Hello all,

I am doing some initial research into constructing an Original Trilogy TK Armor kit and joining my local 501st garrison. This would be my first foray into cosplay or armor construction. My body type doesn't necessarily match the standard TK trooper build (I'm around 5'9", 245 pounds, and approximately a 38" waist). I reached out to ATA Works for information, as I read here that they were a reliable vendor. The representative informed me that with my body type an ATA kit would be possible to build, but would likely require shimming of the thighs and torso. The representative also recommended reaching out to RT- Mod, as they specialize in a larger trooper than ATA, and that it might be easier to trim the armor down instead of applying shims. The question I have is: which would be the preferable option for a first time armor builder: shimming the armor that is initially too small for these areas, or trimming down larger armor in order to make it fit. Or is there an alternative that I have yet to explore? Any information would be appreciated!

Welcome to the FISD!

It's always easier to trim than add shims. When you have to shim the seam needs to be filled with ABS paste(a mix of small pcs of armor scraps mixed with acetone) then sanded and polishing. Lots of work. But doable.

I have a set of RT Mod and it definitely will fit you. AM is also another option to look at. Both are great set's. 

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

• Like 2