Hospital Trooping

ThayNerd

I have an upcoming hospital troop this weekend, and I have been thinking about this subject a lot lately. My question to everyone is; do any of you get sad or a little depressed when you visit terminal kids in the hospital? You know, knowing that they might not be alive the next time you come to visit? :( I try to think that the time I am there brings them happiness and a little more joy in their lives even for a short time. But then I get sad knowing that some of them are not going to be alive for much longer. :( Any who just thought I would speak on my feelings. Sorry for getting all emo on you guys.

If this helps, let's keep this in mind. Most of these kids have more hope and optimism bundled up in their pinkie toes than in the entire body of an average Joe. That's what makes them stronger than any of us could strive to be. One of our purposes is to add a little joy to the mix.

Thanks for the responses so far. I know we are there to make them happy. I always over think situations and my mind is always at warp speed thinking of the outcome of any situation. It might be best to just enjoy the time with the "little ones" and not think about their out come. Off topic: Eugene are you trooping with us this weekend? Are you going 501st or RL?

I'll be there on Saturday Thayne. I think I signed up under RL to go as EP 3 Anakin before I officially got into the CCG. I'll suit up in my armor for the next hospital visit. Looking forward to it!

Hey Thayne, I can imagine that it would be pretty tough. Do you guys go to visit the kids often? I'm up in Reno. I'd love to drive down and troop for the kids with you guys sometime.

-John

My wife tells me of a kid she knew who had leukemia some years ago. He was a nephew of a friend of hers, and she was helping to organize what turned out to be his last birthday party. She found it tough because of that, but she said that despite the fact that the little fellow was so ill (and I mean having to run out of the room every so often to be physically ill) and the fact that he was in so much discomfort, he was amazingly optimistic, energetic and enthusiastic about the party. As hard as it was for her to be there, she wouldn't go back and change that now. It's very important to her that she was part of this child's happiness.

I can't really speak from personal experience, but I know I too would find it very sad. I guess the thing to remember is that those kids are terminally ill whether or not you choose to be there, and a person has to decide if he/she can "put on the good show".

Another thing to think about is that these kids don't really see you when you attend such a function, they see stormtroopers and droids and other cool Star Wars characters. It's like having the coolest movie ever come to life and walk into your room. As a child I would have thought that was just about the best thing that could happen, as an adult (as sad as it would be) I can hardly think of a better way to spend my day than dressed as a SW dude and chillin' with some kids.

Hey Thayne, I can imagine that it would be pretty tough. Do you guys go to visit the kids often? I'm up in Reno. I'd love to drive down and troop for the kids with you guys sometime.

-John

We do it regularly I have to talk to my CO but I don’t see it as being a problem. I’ll let you know when the next visit is. Oh by the way thanks for the offer its much appreciated.

My wife tells me of a kid she knew who had leukemia some years ago. He was a nephew of a friend of hers, and she was helping to organize what turned out to be his last birthday party. She found it tough because of that, but she said that despite the fact that the little fellow was so ill (and I mean having to run out of the room every so often to be physically ill) and the fact that he was in so much discomfort, he was amazingly optimistic, energetic and enthusiastic about the party. As hard as it was for her to be there, she wouldn't go back and change that now. It's very important to her that she was part of this child's happiness.

I can't really speak from personal experience, but I know I too would find it very sad. I guess the thing to remember is that those kids are terminally ill whether or not you choose to be there, and a person has to decide if he/she can "put on the good show".

Another thing to think about is that these kids don't really see you when you attend such a function, they see stormtroopers and droids and other cool Star Wars characters. It's like having the coolest movie ever come to life and walk into your room. As a child I would have thought that was just about the best thing that could happen, as an adult (as sad as it would be) I can hardly think of a better way to spend my day than dressed as a SW dude and chillin' with some kids.

Thanks for the sharing your story. The visit turned out really well, I put those thoughts out of my head and it turned out fine. :)

Here's a link to the pics of this event. Enjoy.

Hospital visit pics.

Ab buttons and I need to work on my kidney plate. Also shim my sides. Another weekend ought to do it.

Nice! Make sure to post up pics of the updates! :)