Black on back...

IBSkyde

Hi all! Hoping I can tap into your wealth of knowledge...

Still assembling my first set of armor, and as I'm a bit on the taller side, I was looking at some pretty nasty gaps in the back to get things fitting comfortably. I made some adjustments, and after finding several posts recommending hot water baths to lessen the curves at the top of the back armor a bit, I was able to close the gaps a bit so that they're now about 3/8 inches between butt/kidney and the same between kidney/back. That's about as close as I can get it unfortunately... my question for all is this: which would be the lesser of 2 evils - larger gaps between the back/kidney/butt (if so, should they split the gaps equally, or should I aim to make one of the gaps as small as possible and allow the other to be larger?), OR extra black area above the top of the back, below the helmet? As it stands right now with the gaps in that 3/8" area, the back sits pretty low on me (the front as well, but not as bad)... maybe 4.5" from the base of my neck to the bottom of the curve at the top center of the back. 

This has literally been the first time in my life I've ever wished to be shorter :) Why couldn't all those extras working as stormtroopers back in the 70s have been taller?

Thanks!!

Is there any way you could post some photos of the problem areas, Jon?  Even if the pieces are just held together temporarily with tape it would give a better visual so that we can better assist you.  If you don't have one already, I would highly suggest getting a imgur (imgur.com) account.  You can edit and post photos really easily (and free)!

If you have any trouble trying to post them here, just PM me.

• Like 2

Sad to say it was an ebay purchase - bought it before I had joined the forums and found all the warnings against iit. I'm on the waiting list for a set from one of the recommended sources.... meanwhile though I'm determined to make the most of this one.

(clearly I haven't painted everything yet - still midway through trimming pieces)

Thanks again!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by IBSkyde