The Need to Be Shiny

Hi there everyone!  So I've had my TK for almost two years now, and about six months ago or so, I decided to give up on ArmorWhite since it began to yellow pretty badly between every troop. Therefore, I did the unspeakable and I spray painted my kit to be nice, Death Star ANH white again. However, even with using a gloss 2X spray paint from Rustoleum (with respective primer), I have found that my kit is much more "matte" than other troopers with the base plastic. I know that the kit will probably never look quite as shiny as it was in its original state, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to use to make it shine again!  Thanks everyone!

P.S. Is it a dumb idea to do a clear coat over everything once it's shiny again in order to protect the new paint job?  I've heard concerns that it could potentially bubble and I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. Thanks!

Rustoleum I have found to be a temperamental paint.

You will get a better deeper shinny appearance with the addition of a clear coat as long as you can spray evenly and not too dry.

I prefer using automotive acrylic paint as it dries fast and is quiet strong, I coated all my TFA armor with 3 clear coats and it has held up really well and can be buffed and polished.

Some paints you can throw on it on and you think it's bound to run but it doesn't, others it can run like a waterfall at the smallest of coats.

I did use a Rustoleum satin clear to protect the weathering on a clonetrooper armor set but one can would be ok another would block constantly and come out patchy.

With the Rustoleum I would advise to test on a small piece of armor and see how it goes, also test how much you can spray before it begins to run, clear coats are usually slightly different in thickness to standard paint.

Good luck and hope it works out well

• Like 1