Is there paint that won't crack or flake - HDPE Helmet

As the title says, I have a TE HDPE Stormtrooper helmet. I got it back in 2008 or so (can't remember). I originally used some sort of Krylon enamel spray, over the years it all easily flaked and chipped off. I'm talking any sort of handling would easily crack the paint. You couldn't even touch it without the paint cracking. 

I was able to remove all of the paint, so that I can paint it again. 

However, I don't want to waste my time and money on a paint that will flake and chip off again. Is there such a product? Is there some way to paint it so that it lasts with no cracks or chips? I don't want 100% accuracy (meaning, I don't want chips. I want it all white). 

Keep in mind, I live in Europe, so please don't tell me "Go to Home Depot and buy some random US brand" ;) 

If you live in Europe, I'd love to see products that I could buy on Amazon - that would help a lot! 

post-718-0-13021200-1492888681_thumb.jpg

HDPE is a very waxy plastic and paint has a very hard time adhering to it. There is a special primer that can be sprayed onto it. I remember from years ago when I formed with it and I was looking into making super flexible armour, but gluing HDPE (or LDPE and PP) together was virtually impossible without the primer, so I would say it would work for paint too.

The original helmets paint cracked. They had a red oxide primer applied and probably several layers of paint, though not from a spray can. I would imagine a more flexible paint like household gloss from a tin, thinned down and sprayed, then maybe neat.

anhsto10.jpg

• 1 month later...

Checkout the thread "HDPE Helmet project". He used a propane torch and 90% rubbing alcohol to remove the release agent in the plastic to get the paint to adhere.

HDPE helmet project

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42102-hdpe-helmet-project/

Edited by gmrhodes13
updated text