Java's ANOVOS Build Thread

Hi Troopers!

I’ve been excited to start the build process for awhile and was able to get going a short while ago and have already had a few happy surprises and a few not-so-happy surprises along the way.  I wanted to start a build thread to share my experience, and ask a few questions along the way.

Awesome luck! I was interested in joining, had been researching for a while, but still reached out to my local garrison for advice before taking the plunge and putting my name on a waiting list for a kit.  One of the local members had a kit that he’d been sitting on and wanted to sell, so I was able to skip the 6mo wait list!!!!  So to anybody thinking about joining, I definitely recommend reaching out to the local garrison FIRST.

This is where I was about a week ago:

20170211_220737_zpsmej0flwg.jpg

After a trimming at night after work and dinner, I’ve trimmed pretty much all my pieces.  Also, printed Ukswrath’s build guide so I wouldn’t need to run back and forth to a computer.  Many many thanks Ukswrath for all of the hard work that I can tell went into that guide!!

20170218_084817_zpsfvamyc9a.jpg

Not so great luck. I’ve known for a time that I need to start shedding some pounds, but didn’t think I was that large.  However, when starting to size sections and still stick to the build guide it became apparent that some of the pieces are snug and that ab-kidney gap isn’t going near centurion any time soon (without some decent shimming).  I’ve been hitting the gym lately, so maybe a few months from now I can revisit that section.

Questions for you troopers:

Mostly these involve trimming, and I’m scared to cut off before getting additional confirmation and for now I’m concerned with Basic Approval.

·         In Ukswrath’s build guide is says that return edges are not required anywhere.  Is this still in effect?  Areas that I would like to trim out:  top of biceps, inside top of thighs, and thin down the top of shins.

·         For butt joint method:  on the shins, I would like to use the cut lines on the front without extra trimming them down and split the cover strip between them.  This takes me a bit over the 30mm that the build says is pretty much the max.  Is that 30mm a solid rule for all levels or just centurion?

·         For the Ab-Kidney connection, I know a gap is allowed for basic approval. Is there a maximum gap?  Mine is currently around 2 inches when I’m SNUG and I haven’t started connecting pieces yet.

Thank you in advance! It’s an honor to be following in the footsteps of so many awesome faceless brethren.

Welcome to the FISD Java! Great score on the armor. It's always good to sign up with your local garrison. I like the instruction boik you made! I'm sure Tony will get a kick out of it. Now the advice I give is my opinion, not anything else. It's really up to your GML and Tony and Andrews call. The pieces you suggested for trimming return edge is fine. Maybe it was a misinterpretation thinking all return edges can go. The core of the armor has return edges where the limbs have little to no return edge in spots. Usually trimming tops of thighs and bottom of shins for sizing. The return edge is totally removed around wrist area. When in doubt check out some Anovos Centurion application's for reference. I believe you'll be ok for basic approval with the side gaps. The drive to wear armor is a great motivator for losing weight. So keep at it and those gaps will get a little smaller. For the 30mm coverstrip question, I think it would be great for all of us if you gave us some front and back mock up photos so we can see. Blue tape them on and post some shots and we'll see. Again welcome Java! Best of Luck Future Trooper!

Thank you Randy for both the help and support.  I have included the photos below for both methods.  As for the return edges, I definitely want to keep most of the return edges because I think it looks much better with them than without (e.g. core pieces, shoulder bells, etc.).  I have already removed the wrist return edge since I found plenty of centurion submissions supporting that.  And just so you don’t think I’m crazy, I added the build text (found in the wrist/forearm section pg.6).  J

Again, thank you for the help.

At 30mm:

20170218_142640_zpsvmcswzxx.jpg

Using ANOVOS cut lines (35-40mm depending on location):

20170218_143153_zpstkulltm4.jpg

From build guide pdf.

20170218_143337_zpswlhympay.jpg

The top photo looks good and what it should look like. When I said photos it was with you wearing it mocked up. Again I see the text you provided. I see page 6. Is that from what section? Limbs I imagine. I'll go look now. If you don't get a definitive answer you can ask in the Advanced Tactics section.

Sorry, still new to this.  Below are me wearing the mockups.  However, after trying to wear it for a little while as I worked on other things, I think the 30mm will work.  I think part of the uncomfortability is due to the overlap and I also realized that I trimmed more to the middle/far edge of the cut line for the return edge but could gain a couple millimeters by trimming the return edge entirely.  As you can see, my sides and back aren't as much of an issue as the front - looks like my calves still have some muscle definition left over from sports years ago and are pulling the whole thing back.

20170219_143547_zpszyv76m0o.jpg20170219_143603_zpsy0shw2ob.jpg

20170219_143551_zps1pobna5b.jpg20170219_143612_zpsx3osrpjc.jpg

All I did was use the UPS store and uploaded the pdf file that Ukwrath provided. It has been really helpful since I'm working away from wifi. In black/white it was $26, but worth every penny. Once my build is complete, I plan on passing it along but that may be a while.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm definitely not very good at taking pictures along the way.  I guess I just like to keep grinding.  BUT.... Today was my first fitting that wasn't run on blue tape and guesswork!!!!  Very exciting for me!!!  I still have work to do, so please be kind with your judgements.

First pic, you can't see it but I've got a big 'ole grin on under that bucket.  My poor doggo didn't know what to think of me, I've been working out in my shed so he hasn't seen much.  Next steps:  already brought the shoulder bells in closer, tightened up the bicep-forearm, and still have to add on the buttons, shoulder straps, knee ammo belt, thermal detonator, and back of the shins.

20170306_194027_zpsh8o6rod4.jpg

From the back.  Missed taking off some tape from strapping up the back pieces.  

20170306_194044_zpsflujmexu.jpg

And OF COURSE, me and my shiny new Hyperfirm!!

20170306_194101_zps4yibznj0.jpg

Hit a few road bumps along the way, but I think it's starting to turn out alright. Wish me luck on the rest of it.  :D

• Like 1