My Captain Phasma-Almost finished

So I debuted my Captain Phasma this weekend.

She's not quite finished-I have to add all of the detail work, finish the fingers and boot plates and tweak the rigging. I also had to do some major work on the thighs and cod piece-the bite was pretty bad and the paint got destroyed on the latter piece. I took about 2 inches out of the thighs and a quarter inch out of the cod yesterday and it fits a lot better. Will start the touch up paint this week.

She was really successful with our local kids at the Halloween street festival I went to on Friday. I was also invited to a comic con by the local 501st Garrison-Northern Darkness. It was a lot of fun and a huge honor. 

I'm really proud of this costume-I've been working on it since April and it's been a great learning process.

This is a Jimmi kit, painted with Alclad Chrome. Cape by Jessica Bowyer. 

post-29126-0-34617200-1477919021_thumb.jpg

post-29126-0-83001500-1477919139_thumb.jpg

post-29126-0-48070000-1477919337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Danvers14
  • Like 3

Looking very nice!! If I could convince my wife to wear a suit of armor I'd build her one of these sets in a heartbeat, instead she's opted to go the sith route wearing robes and a mask. Anyway, as far as the painting, is this spray based? Either way, serious kudos to painting a whole set of armor, I know how painful and tedious that is (I painted my whole TK to give it a showroom look). Good luck getting it all wrapped up!

• Like 1

Looking very nice!! If I could convince my wife to wear a suit of armor I'd build her one of these sets in a heartbeat, instead she's opted to go the sith route wearing robes and a mask. Anyway, as far as the painting, is this spray based? Either way, serious kudos to painting a whole set of armor, I know how painful and tedious that is (I painted my whole TK to give it a showroom look). Good luck getting it all wrapped up!

If you'd told me a year ago I would be doing an entire armor like this I would have choked from laughing so hard. I love Phasma so much though, I knew the first time I saw her I was going to do this costume one way or another. 

And yeah, this is entirely airbrushed. It took me about 40 hours to get it chromed. It was unbelievably tedious. But I just put in my headphones and turned on the Ahsoka audio book and plugged away hahaha. 

My hope is to get this approved in time for Rogue One. 

And yeah, this is entirely airbrushed. It took me about 40 hours to get it chromed. It was unbelievably tedious. But I just put in my headphones and turned on the Ahsoka audio book and plugged away hahaha. 

I lost track of how much time it took to paint the whole thing, but a whole lot more than 40. Though for the white, it was a lot of priming, then color coating, with a clear coat follow up and paint sealant. Not airbrushed but sprayed in the garage setup as a cleanroom. Start to finish that was about a two month ordeal for me, and I don't think I'd repeat that. I ended up stripping off the clear coat enamel as it was problematic under stress so just have a final color top coat.... thankfully that means I can recoat the whole set in one day now for touch ups or refurbishment. Like you, as you wear and tear the armor you'll notice some nicks on the paint layers where two pieces meet and rub under movement.

Anyway, great job and good luck getting it wrapped up for Rogue One!

I lost track of how much time it took to paint the whole thing, but a whole lot more than 40. Though for the white, it was a lot of priming, then color coating, with a clear coat follow up and paint sealant. Not airbrushed but sprayed in the garage setup as a cleanroom. Start to finish that was about a two month ordeal for me, and I don't think I'd repeat that. I ended up stripping off the clear coat enamel as it was problematic under stress so just have a final color top coat.... thankfully that means I can recoat the whole set in one day now for touch ups or refurbishment. Like you, as you wear and tear the armor you'll notice some nicks on the paint layers where two pieces meet and rub under movement.

Anyway, great job and good luck getting it wrapped up for Rogue One!

Oh man-with all of the other painting? It took a lot more than 40 hours. I actually used some of my vacation time in September just so I could get the bulk of the priming done. 

I've been clocking the hours and I have them written somewhere in my notebook...Last time I made a point of counting, I think I was up to 200 hours on this costume entirely. Hahah 

It's got to be worth it, right?! Maybe...

Beautiful kit!!  I admire anyone up to tackling a Phasma build.  I hear it's one heck of a chore and just the paint job alone is grueling.  Great job!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thank you! 

She's definitely been an endeavor. There's been so many times where I've cursed myself out for not starting with something simpler. Oh well. She's fun to wear and I got so many hugs from little kids this weekend so that makes me feel good about this whole monster of a project.

• 4 months later...