Painting one's helmet.....

TK102468

Hi all,

I am cobbling together an RS Props ANH Stunt Helmet kit and have a question.... I was watching the Trooperbay build videos on YouTube for guidance and noticed he got to a point where the helmet was all together and then he painted the entire helmet white (white plastic, he then painted white).

Can anyone let me know whether this is normal?

Thanks!

I haven't watched that video in a long time but as far as I know, no you do not have to paint your entire helmet for official status. The original ANH movie helmets were made with a green/khaki looking plastic so they all had to be painted white. You can see photos of the original helmets with white paint chipped off, exposing the off colored plastic. So maybe that is what the guy in the video was trying to emulate? Or maybe the white plastic used for the kit he had did not match the armor so painted it to get a closer match? <br><br>

For 501st approval:<br>

Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray.<br>

Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.<br>

Lenses are flat material, green in color, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.<br>

The “ear” bars have three or four bumps and are gray or painted gray, with a black outline. Painting the bumps with rank stripes (highlighted) in black is optional.<br>

Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. Eight total teeth on the frown are cut out.<br>

Tube stripes are medium blue, numbering between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.<br>

Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black.<br>

Aerators/Hovi mix tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black or painted black.<br>

Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted.<br>

Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.<br>

Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.<br>

Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible. <br><br>

For level two certification (if applicable):<br>

Ears shall have three screws per side, one above and one below the ear bar and one at the base of the helmet.<br>

Ear bars have four bumps only.<br>

Not three.<br>

Traps/tears and tube stripes shall have the correct ANH TK details.<br>

Correct 'Hovi mic' aerator tips.<br>

For level three certification (if applicable):<br>

Ear bars shall have only one bump painted in black (rank stripes).<br>

Neck trim shall be of an s-type profile rather than a u-type profile.<br>

Tears/traps shall be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details).<br><br>

Nothing in there that says paint the whole helmet. Hope this helps. <br><br>

I have an RS helmet assembled by the RS guys and it is not painted white, just the details I mentioned. <br><br>

Good luck with your helmet kit. I have an extra kit myself and hope to assemble it sometime soon. Post photos if you get the chance when you are finished!

Edited by Bulldog44

Brian already mentioned it above.

The armor does not need to be painted white.

Not to say you can't do it, but the ABS and HIPS plastics that is used to make these armors are already made to mimic the screen used "white" color.

Therefore there is no need to paint everything white. Just the details (i.e. bucket details mentioned above and the buttons on the abdomen)

Good Luck Trooper!

• 3 months later...