My name is Tim and I recently joined the Carolina Garrison. Had my first troop last weekend. My Anovos kit was my first ever build and I learned so much and enjoyed it so much that I've ordered their Shadowtrooper kit. I'm excited for that BBB to arrive. Right now I'm pretty content with my basic level approval though I have done a few things that are EIB/Centurion level, just not all. 

Here's some info suggested from the original topic in this thread.

If Only You Knew:
1. I definitely wish I had put the hours of research in ahead of time even before the BBB arrived. In the end, not doing the research ahead of time didn't ruin the build, but it would have been very helpful and make things go a lot more smoothly. I browsed the forums but I guess I just didn't find the right threads. I was so overwhelmed by all the information on FISD that I just stopped looking altogether.
2. My one little trick that I don't often see others talking about/doing is wrapping the magnets used for clamping with painters tape. I left a little extra tape hanging off the ends like a flag or tab. It made separating the magnets so much easier when they got stuck together. 

Oops!:
I glued my forearms, biceps, and thighs according to the original cut lines, not realizing I had to do more fitting and trimming. Thank god I used E6000. Those cover strips came right off and nobody ever had to know. (The armor fits great now, btw.)

A funny thing happened on my way to the Death Star:
Here's how little informed I was when I started my own build... I thought the indentation on the left bicep was a manufacturer's defect by Anovos. I was embarrassed.

Shout Outs:
Carolina Garrison! 
ukswrath's Anovos TK build thread
the Facebook page for Anovos kit builders (sorry for all you forum purists)
  • Like 2

Great post Tim - great name, too! <br><br>

I'm really happy to see you say what you had to say about the research. Some of us forum purists are quite regularly active in the FB group specifically to get those folks over here to do the research, and to prevent any catastrophic mistakes or misunderstandings.<br><br>

Definitely a great share. Welcome aboard Trooper!!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, Tim.  Hope that first troop was all that you had imagined and got you thirsty for many more!

There is a lot of information here and knowing how to search for it is not easy, And. being a newbie, we don't always know just what something is called to be able to search. Many troopers start build threads to document their progress as well as to ask all those questions. Instead of going and looking for the answers, other Troopers come by and offer guidance.

As Tim said, several of us are on the FB build group to answer questions and offer guidance. Many times, links posted are coming right back here to other FISD posts and build threads.  Now that you have made it through the build and approval process, you have many answers that others are asking.

Great idea on the tape tab on the magnets.  Maybe you could take a few pictures and post it in the 'Tips and How-To's' section.

Good Luck and have fun on your Shadow build!

• Like 1